HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Peterhouse

Hob Uid: 371420
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Cambridge
Cambridge
Grid Ref : TL4484357957
Summary : Peterhouse is the oldest of the sixteen old colleges at Cambridge University founded between 1284 and 1596. It was originally founded in 1280 by Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely at the Hospital of St John and moved to its present site in 1284. It was first known as The Scholars of the Bishop of Ely Saint Peter's College, later Peterhouse College, and now Peterhouse.The college comprises three main courts, the oldest being Old Court, which includes the Old Hall, and dates from 1290, with additions of 1490, 1590 and 1633. Alterations date to the mid 15th century and partially refaced in 1755 and 1870. George Gilbert Scott restored the building in 1879 Parts of the interior were refitted in 1868-70 by William Morris. First Court includes the Chapel built by George Thompson in 1628-32 and refaced in 1665. It also contains Burrough's Buillding built by James Burrough in 1738-42. Gisborne Court was built in 1825-26 and named after Francis Gisborne, a former fellow. It is a Gothic revival style building designed by William McIntosh Brookes. The fourth side of the court comprised a screen wall, which was demolished in 1939, and is being replaced by the Whittle Building, due to be completed in 2014, and named after Frank Whittle, college member and inventor of the jet engine. Modern additions include Fen Court built 1939-41 and Birdwood Building built in 1932-34. Both were designed by Hugh Castrees Hughes and Peter Bicknell. Fen Court is the only example of a pre-war International Modern style building at the University. Birdwood Building was demolished to make way for the Whittle Building. Ward Library was originally the University Museum of Classical Archaeology, designed by Basil Champneys in 1883, and converted into the college library by Robert Potter in 1982-84. Originally Peterhouse only admitted male students. Females were admitted in 1985 making it the second-to-last Cambridge college to become co-educational.
More information : (TL 448579) Peterhouse (Founded AD 1284) (NAT)
(TL 44885797) Chapel (NR) (1)

Peterhouse is the oldest of the Cambridge Colleges and was
founded in 1280 by Hugh de Balsham, Bishop of Ely, in the
dwelling place of the secular brethren of the Hospital of St
John. It was moved to its present site in 1284. The oldest
surviving buildings are the South Range of First Court and Old
Court, including the Hall, which were built about 1290. The
remainder of Old Court was completed in the 15th C. The Chapel,
in First Court, was built by George Thompson in 1628-32 and the
North Range of First Court was built by James Burrough in
1738-42.

Gisbourn Court, west of Old Court, was built in 1825-6 to the
designs of W McI Brooks. The North and South Ranges were built
in Tudor-Gothic style and the West Range of Old Court was faced
to match.

The Master's Lodge, on the opposite side of Trumpington Street,
was built in 1702. (2-3)

As described. 1:1250 survey correct. See GPs. (4)

Peterhouse is the oldest of the sixteen old colleges at Cambridge University founded between 1284 and 1596. It was originally founded in 1280 by Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely at the Hospital of St John and moved to its present site in 1284. It was named after Peter the Apostle and first known as The Scholars of the Bishop of Ely Saint Peter's College, later known as Peterhouse College. Its modern name is Peterhouse.

The college was the first in the University and the second building in the country have electric lighting, following the Palace of Westminster, which was installed in 1883-1884.

The college comprises three main courts, the oldest being Old Court, which includes the Old Hall, and dates from 1290, with additions of 1490, 1590 and 1633. Alterations date to the mid 15th century and parts were refaced in 1755 and 1870. Parts of the interior were refitted in 1868-70 by William Morris. A restoration of the building took place by George Gilbert Scott in 1879. A renovation of the Old Hall took place in 2006-7.

First Court includes the Chapel which was built by George Thompson in 1628-32 and refaced in 1665. A restoration of the interior took place in 1821-22. It also contains Burrough's Buillding built by James Burrough in 1738-42.

Gisborne Court was built in 1825-6 following a benefaction of 1817 from the Rev. Francis Gisborne, a former fellow. It is a Gothic revival style building designed by William McIntosh Brookes. The court originally comprised three sides, the fourth included a screen wall, which was demolished in 1939. Construction started in 2012 on the 'Whittle Building situated on the site of the wall. This is due to be completed in 2014 and is named after Sir Frank Whittle, college member and inventor of the jet engine.

Modern additions to the college include Fen Court which was designed by Hugh Castrees Hughes (1893 -1976 ) and Peter Bicknell, and built in 1939-41 and is the only pre-war Cambridge college building in the International Modern style. The building was funded by a bequest from Prof. W. Emery Barnes who died in 1939. Birdwood Building was situated on the western side of Fen Court was also designed by Hughes and Bicknell, and was built between 1932 and 1934. It has been demolished to make way for the Whittle Building.

Ward Library is situated to the northeast corner of the main college site and was originally the University Museum of Classical Archaeology designed by Basil Champneys in 1883. It was converted into a library by Robert Potter in 1982 and opened in 1984.

Originally Peterhouse was only for male students, females were admitted in 1985. It was the second-to-last Cambridge college to become co-educational. (6-9)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500 1930
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in the City of Cambridge [in two parts]
Source details :
Page(s) : 156
Figs. : 157
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) City of Cambridge, 2-NOV-1972, 40-3
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Cambs 3 1959 334-40
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RD 26-JUN-82
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Peterhouse Cambridge; About the College [Accessed 12-MAR-2013]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Peterhouse Cambridge; Petreans [Accessed 12-Mar-2013]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Peterhouse Architectural Tour [Accessed 12-MAR-2013]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : New Petrean Guide 2008; Women in Peterhouse [Accessed 12-MAr-2013]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded 1280
Monument End Date : 1280
Monument Start Date : 1280
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Moved in 1284
Monument End Date : 1284
Monument Start Date : 1284
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refaced in 1755
Monument End Date : 1755
Monument Start Date : 1755
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built in 1825-26
Monument End Date : 1826
Monument Start Date : 1825
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built in 1833
Monument End Date : 1833
Monument Start Date : 1833
Monument Type : University, Museum
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Refitted 1868-70
Monument End Date : 1870
Monument Start Date : 1868
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Refaced in 1870
Monument End Date : 1870
Monument Start Date : 1870
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1933-34
Monument End Date : 1934
Monument Start Date : 1933
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1939-41
Monument End Date : 1941
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Demolished in 1939
Monument End Date : 1939
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : University College, Garden Wall
Evidence : Demolished Structure
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Museum converted 1982-84
Monument End Date : 1984
Monument Start Date : 1984
Monument Type : University College, Library
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Building started in 2012
Monument End Date : 2012
Monument Start Date : 2012
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built from 1290
Monument End Date : 1290
Monument Start Date : 1290
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Mid C15 alterations
Monument End Date : 1466
Monument Start Date : 1433
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1490
Monument End Date : 1490
Monument Start Date : 1490
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1590
Monument End Date : 1590
Monument Start Date : 1590
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1638-32
Monument End Date : 1632
Monument Start Date : 1628
Monument Type : University College, Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1633
Monument End Date : 1633
Monument Start Date : 1633
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refaced 1665
Monument End Date : 1665
Monument Start Date : 1665
Monument Type : University College, Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1738-42
Monument End Date : 1742
Monument Start Date : 1738
Monument Type : University College
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 47214
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 98435
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 47562
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 489964
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 47217
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1126153
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1350395
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1087054
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1087070
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 45 NW 48
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 371412
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 45 NW 48
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1982-06-26
End Date : 1982-06-26
Associated Activities : LAND AT PETERHOUSE COLLEGE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : OLD BREWHOUSE, PETERHOUSE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : THE MUSIC ROOM, PETERHOUSE COLLEGE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31
Associated Activities : GISBOURNE COURT, PETERHOUSE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2012-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31