HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 371934

Hob Uid: 371934
Location :
Cambridgeshire
South Cambridgeshire
Fen Ditton
Grid Ref : TL4873061710
Summary : Biggin Abbey, rems of 13th century Bishop's Palace and moat.
More information : (TL 48736171) Biggin Abbey (NAT)(1)

Biggin Abbey, Grade 2*. The remains of a former residence of
the Bishops of Ely, converted into a farmhouse. A mansion was
built on the site (which was moated) by Hugh de Northwold,
Bishop of Ely, by the mid 13th century, Henry III, Edward I and
Edward II all paid visits here. In the later 16th century the
manor was given up to the Crown and was turned into a farmhouse.

The present building has two storeys and attics. The walls are
two feet thick and covered with cement plaster; the roofs have
been recently relaid with asbestos sheeting. The interior has
been much altered and there are modern partitions. The ground
floor is divided into four bays with very heavy dividing beams.
In the north east angle is a small stone staircase leading to
the upper floor. In the attic is a small room built into the
south west corner, traditionally known as the 'Monks Prison';
it may have been used as a chapel.(2)

Biggin, a small farmhouse in fair condition. As described
above but not outstanding externally.(3)

Full architectural description; see plan. "Especially worthy of
preservation".

The building stands in the N.E corner of a former moated site
occupying an almost square area of about 5 acres with a ditch
up to 30 ft. wide. The ditch has recently been almost entirely
destroyed and now only the W. side exists as a 3-ft W.-facing
scarp, together with traces of the N.E. corner. It it shown as
complete on the Enclosure Map on 1807. The reference to the
enclosing of the manor in 1276 may relate to the construction
of this moat.(4)

Course of moat visible on St Joseph air photograph (5).

The abbey (farmhouse) is being restored and the farm buildings
converted into cottages. Name 'Biggin Abbey' applies to whole
complex. No trace of the moat survives. See ground photograph.(6)

Biggin Abbey, Horningsea Road. Listed as Grade II*. Farmhouse.
Late C14 and C17 additions and alterations.(7)

Notes on the historical details of the Biggin Abbey given (8)



Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : OS 1:10000 1974
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Chesterton RD Apr 1957 38-9
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 27-FEB-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : RCHM NE Cambs 1972 58-9 plans illust photos
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : AP (St Joseph GW 005)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 GJM 11-JUN-82
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) South Cambs Cambs Aug 1984 13
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Proc Cambridgeshire Antiq Soc 48 1955 1-5 (DVM Chadwick)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat, Palace
Evidence :
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Farmhouse, Palace, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 46 SE 19
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 46 SE 18
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-02-27
End Date : 1968-02-27
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 46 SE 18
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1982-06-11
End Date : 1982-06-11