HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 372488

Hob Uid: 372488
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Fenland
Doddington
Grid Ref : TL4074090810
Summary : The buried and earthwork remains of a moated manor house documented during the late 13th century. The buildings in existence in 1356 included the house and a chapel. The site was converted into a farm by the 19th century. All the present buildings date to the 19th and 20th century. The moated island now measures up to 104 metres by 106 metres, surrounded by a moat ranging from 6 metres to 12 metres in width. The arms have been greatly recut and shaped in recent years, and about 20 metres length of the west arm had been filled in. The original entrance was probably central to the west arm. Scheduled.
More information : (TL 407 907) Moat (NR)

Manor House moat (probably late in date) is 350ft square and
about 10ft wide except at the NW corner where it is a pond.

This manor belonged to Ely and was a seat of the bishops,
Bishop Balsham dying here in 1286. In 1356 the house and other
buildings including a chapel were in good repair. It ceased to
be used as a manor before 1808 and was converted into a farm
(apparently modern).

Remains of Manor House moat.

The Manor House appears entirely of 19th/20th C brick
construction and incorporates no earlier material according to
the owner, Mr M Mair, who has no knowledge of an earlier house
on the site. However, Mr Mair states that during demolition of
farm buildings at TL 4077 9072 in 1967 a stone gable end with
blocked narrow pointed arches was uncovered. No action was
taken, and the wall was demolished.

Surrounding the house is a moat about 120.0m square overall
with waterfilled arms from about 4.0m to 12.0m in width. The
arms have been greatly recut and shaped in recent years, and
about 20.0m length of the W arm has been filled in. Further
re-cutting is planned. The original entrance is probably that
central to the W arm, causeways across the N arm and SE corner
being modern.

To the immediate S and SE of the moat, in a ploughed field, is
a medium scatter of Md/post Md tile and pottery.

Three regular cut ponds in series are shown on the OS 25"
(1924) on the NW side of the moat at TL 4074 9081. They are
suggestive of fishponds, but no trace now exists in a level
pastured field and Mr Mair states there was no trace of them
when he took residence in 1960.

Published survey (moat) revised on MSD at 1:2500.

TL 40779071. By the late 15th century, the manor of Doddington was no longer being used as a bishops' residence. By 1602 it was in the ownership of Sir John Peyton, in whose family it remained until the end of the 19th century. A survey of 1356 records the manor house lying within a walled enclosure and comprising a hall, principal chamber, cloister, pantry, buttery and other chambers. Within the same walls were a kitchen, brewhouse, chapel, lodgings, dovehouse, granary, stables and a gatehouse. An earlier survey, caried out in 1221, refers to vaccaries and fishponds, which are thought to have been located to the south-west of the house. Scheduled. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1959
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely : volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 28
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely : volume four
Source details :
Page(s) : 110-112
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Cambs CC Arch Unit Rec Card
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : J K St Joseph B K J 8-9 1.9.1972
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JRL 25-MAR-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 05-Jan-01
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Recorded in 1221
Monument End Date : 1221
Monument Start Date : 1221
Monument Type : Moat, Bishops Palace, Vaccary, Fishpond
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Documented late C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1267
Monument Type : Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Documented 1356
Monument End Date : 1356
Monument Start Date : 1356
Monument Type : Manor House, Moat, Manorial Chapel, Hall House, Cloister, Larder, Buttery, Kitchen, Brewhouse, Dovecote, Granary, Stable, Gatehouse
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted by C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Farm
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 33272
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 49 SW 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 49 SW 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-03-25
End Date : 1976-03-25