HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Millom Castle

Hob Uid: 37299
Location :
Cumbria
Copeland
Millom
Grid Ref : SD1711081330
Summary : The ruins of a castle or moated manor house are incorporated into the present farmhouse. A licence to crenellate was granted in 1335 and the east range was built later in the 14th century. The building was partially demolished in 1644. The standing remains include the great tower of 1600, a hall and the ruined gatehouse in the east range. The earthwork remains of a medieval moat survive to the west and north. A Roman coin hoard was supposedly found here in 1759. Part of the moat and the castle are also visible as earthworks and ruined buildings on air photographs mapped as part of the North West Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey. The feature appears to be still extant on the latest 1966 Ordnance Survey vertical photography.
More information : (SD 17128134) Millom Castle (NR) (Remains of) (1)

Millom Castle was probably founded in the 13th century, but following the licence to crenellate (1335) the main building took place, and probably included the entrance tower and the hall. Circa 1450 further buildings were erected and about 1600 the Great Tower was built. In 1644 the Castle was partially demolished. The present remains consist of the moat (visible on the south and westsides), the tower, hall, and ruined gatehouse. (2)

Scheduled (ruined parts). (3)

he remains as described are in fair condition. Published survey (25") revised. (4)

(SD 17128134) Millom Castle (NR) (remains of) (NAT) (5)

Stukeley's Diaries refer to the discovery in 1759 of "Two great urns full of Roman silver coins" (a) at Millom Castle. (6)

Millow Castle Ruins of a castle or moated manor house incorporated in the present 16th or 17th century farmhouse. Licence to crenellate in 1335, east range 14th century and great tower. Grade 1. (7)

SD 171813 Millom Castle (ruined portions); scheduled. (8)

Listed by Cathcart King. (9)

The ruins of the castle and part of the moat are also visible as earthworks and ruined building on air photographs mapped as part of the North West Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey. Because of tree coverage only part of the moat circuit is visible. The feature appears to be still extant on the latest 1966 Ordnance Survey vertical photography.
(10-11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 6" (Prov) 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (J F Curwen)
Page(s) : 211-12
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13, 1913
Source Number : 10
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR OS/66109 0696 30-MAY-1966
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SD 1781/7 (13403/04) 12-JAN-1979
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : DOE(IAM) AMs England and Wales 1961
Page(s) : 30
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 22-JAN-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:10000 1980
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The [late 3rd century] Roman coin hoard from Docker Moor
Source details :
Page(s) : 198
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 82
Source Number : 6a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Surtees Publications 76 1883 (Stukeley)
Page(s) : 113
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Borough of Copeland, Cumbria: 14.7.89
Page(s) : 17
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : Cumbria
Page(s) : 18
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 89
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Jan-83

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Findspot
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : License granted
Monument End Date : 1335
Monument Start Date : 1335
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Later C14
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1367
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified Manor House, Gatehouse
Evidence : Ruined Building, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Partly demolished 1644
Monument End Date : 1644
Monument Start Date : 1644
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1660
Monument End Date : 1660
Monument Start Date : 1660
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : By 1989
Monument End Date : 1989
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Period : Roman
Component Monument Type : Findspot
Object Type : COIN HOARD
Object Material :

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 76333
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Cumbria)
External Cross Reference Number : 2703
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CU 360
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 18 SE 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1491096
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 18 SE 11
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-01-22
End Date : 1969-01-22
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE:NORTH WEST COAST NMP RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2007-11-26
End Date : 2009-05-22