HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 375286

Hob Uid: 375286
Location :
Cambridgeshire
East Cambridgeshire
Downham
Grid Ref : TL5192084200
Summary : Bishop's Palace (15thc) rems of
More information : (TL 5192 8420) Bishop's Palace (NR) (Remains of) (NAT) (1)

"The remains of the former Bishop's Palace are incorporated
farm buildings about 1/2 mile west of the parish church. The
palace was rebuilt by Bishop Alcock (1486 - 1500), and the
surviving remains are all of this period. The building fell
into decay while it was alienated from the see during the
Commonwealth, and was never readapted as an episcopal palace
after 1660". Present remains include a detached structure on
the east, possibly the chapel, and south of it lies a large,
rectangular "pigeon-house", now dilapidated. To the north
stands a structure with only the base of its walls surviving
and to the west, built into the south wall of the barn, is an
oven and drying chamber, suggesting the kitchen and hall were
here.

These remains superseded the earlier manor house which was the
episcopal palace for more than 500 years. The present farm
house seems to date from the early 19th century but is largely
built of older materials and could incorporate portions of the
palace walls. (2)

"Applies to the site of Bishop Alcock's Palace but of which
only a small portion remained and which are used as
outbuildings to the Tower Farm, the dwelling house being
erected on the site of the palace. The property of Mr W E
Stockdale occupier". (3-4)

(For medieval deer park, see TL 58 SW 11.)

The remains are identifiable as follows.

At TL 5194 8420, the supposed chapel of brick with stone
dressings. Attached to the NW a yard utilising old walls. The
brick barn at TL 5189 8418 incorporates in its SW and SE walls
remains identified by Auty 2 as part of the kitchen and hall.
The dovecote has gone. See photos. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1959
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Cambs, 4 1953 91-92
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Mr W E Stockdale Tower Farm
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Cambs ONB 26 NW, 5 1925 Revision
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHS 17-SEP-1970
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 14
Monument Type : Palace
Evidence :
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Palace
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 58 SW 7
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, BISHOP'S PALACE, LITTLE DOWNHAM
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31