HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 375293

Hob Uid: 375293
Location :
Cambridgeshire
East Cambridgeshire
Ely
Grid Ref : TL5411080170
Summary : Claustral buildings of Ely Cathedral dating from the 12th century. Features include the Bishops Palace, the Deanery. the Almonry and the Prior's House.
More information : (TL 53978025) Bishop's Palace (NR) (1)

(TL 54048014) Chapel (NR)
(TL 54008003) Ely Porta (NR)
(TL 54158018) Deanery (NAT)
(TL 54258029) The Almonry (NAT) (2)

The following buildings associated with the cathedral are
listed buildings: -

The Almonry Grade 1. A late 12th century building of stone
rubble with Barnack stone dressings. It is built above a
vaulted undercroft of about 1200.

Wall Grade 1. A high 14th century stone rubble wall extends
east from the Almonry to the west end of No 2 Fore Hill. A
stone rubble wall also extends south and west on the boundary
between the Cathedral precinct, and the gardens of the Almonry
and Painted Chamber.

The Sacristy, Gate and Goldsmith's Tower Grade 1. Built by Alan
of Walsingham soon after he became sacrist in 1322, probably
incorporating an older building known as The Old Hall in the
14th century. The only part of Walsingham's building which
survives is the north wall; the remainder is
mainly 19th century.

The Great Hall (Bishop's Residence) Grade 1. The Great Hall or
Guest Hall was built in the mid 13th century and was remodelled
in the early 14th century. It is built above a fine vaulted
undercroft with ribbed vaults.

The Queen's Hall Grade 1. Built by Prior Crauden about 1330.
Many 14th century features remain, including the undercroft with
ribbed vaulting. It is now the Headmaster's House of the King's
School.

Guest Quarters of the Monastery Grade 1. Two ranges of
buildings, now part of King's School, extending south from the
Queen's Hall and backing on the The Gallery (shown as West
Range on Plan). The north range was built, probably as a
granary, about 1180, and converted to guest quarters in the
14th century. The south range was also built in the 14th
century, shortly after the north range was completed.

Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta
Grade 1.

Prior's House Grade 1. The Prior's House, now a boarding house
of the King's School, was largely rebuilt in the early 14th
century by Prior Crauden above a 12th century vaulted
undercroft.

Prior Crauden's Chapel Grade 1. A private chapel built by Prior
Crauden in 1324-5, adjoining the south west corner of the hall.
It was built over a 13th century vaulted undercroft.


Barn and Storehouse Grade 1. Built about 1374. It stands to
the south of Ely Porta and is a long, rectangular building and
is now part of King's School.

The Infirmary was built in the 12th century and consisted of a
long nave with side aisles and a chapel at the east end. Between
the 12th and 14th centuries various buildings were built into
and added to the aisles. The nave has now become the approach
road to the buildings (Infirmary Lane).

The Dark Cloister Grade 1. A mid 13th century vaulted passage
originally connecting the Dormitory with the Infirmary, with a
storey above which probably contained a school. All that now
remains is the south wall of the vaulted passage and a short
length of the upper storey.

Poucher's Hall Grade 1. The building at the north west end of
Infirmary Lane was originally the Blood Letting House, built in
the early 14th century. It was rebuilt in 1416 by Prior
Powcher, and a third storey, timber frame, was added in the
early 16th century.

The Painted Chamber (Walsingham House) Grade 1. Built in the
early 14th century by Alan of Walsingham for his own
occupation. It contains some 12th century features. Now a
boarding house of King's School.

The Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery) Grade 1. The Chapel of
the Infirmary was originally an extension of the Infirmary Hall
and had a chancel at the east end. The chancel is now
incorporated within the present Deanery and part of the chancel
arch survives on the west wall. The building retains many 12th
century features. Brick dwellings were added on the south and
east sides in the 18th century, and there are some 19th century
alterations.

The Black Hostelry and Cellarer's Chamber Grade 1. The Black
Hostelry stands to the south of Infirmary Lane and was built
about 1291-2. The vaulted under-croft is of the early 13th
century and the building has a number of later features. The
cellarer's chamber now the Chapter Office, adjoins the Black
Hostelry on the east side. It was built into the south aisle of
the Infirmary in the 15th century.

Cellarer's House Grade 1. The Cellarer's House, now a boarding
house of King's School, extends south at the west end of
Infirmary Lane. It is probably earlier than the Infirmary. The
ground storey has massive walls and a Norman barrel vault. Much
of the building was demolished in 1770 when a house was built
on the south side.

Bishop's Palace (The Palace School) Grade 1. Bishop's Palace
stands on the south side of Palace Green to the west of the
Cathedral and was originally built in the 15th century by
Bishop Alcock (1486-1501). The only surviving part of Alcock's
palace is the east tower and the lower part of the west tower.
The upper part of the west tower and the west wing were built
Bishop Goodrich in 1550. The recessed centre part and the
block facing south were built by Bishop Laney (1667-75) who
demolished the major part of Bishop Goodrich's palace. The
interior was remodelled in 1771 by Bishop Keen.

No 9 The Gallery (Stables to Bishop's Palace) Grade 1. A 13th
century stone rubble building, originally a range of stables
with lofts and living quarters above, now a single dwelling.
The north front was remodelled in the 16th century and faced in
red brick, probably by Bishop Goodrich. (3-4)

Bishop's Palace extant and in good condition. See ground
photograph. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500 1974
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500 1972
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) City of Ely 19/6/72
Page(s) : 11-25 32
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely : volume four
Source details : 1953, plan
Page(s) : 77-82
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 01-NOV-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built C12th
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Chapel, Infirmary, Undercroft
Evidence : Extant Building, Architectural Component, Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built late C12th
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1167
Monument Type : Almonry, Infirmary
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1322 additions
Monument End Date : 1322
Monument Start Date : 1322
Monument Type : Sacristy, Tower, Wall
Evidence : Extant Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1324-5 alterations
Monument End Date : 1325
Monument Start Date : 1324
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15th alterations and additions
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Bishops Palace, Cellar
Evidence : Architectural Component, Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1416
Monument End Date : 1416
Monument Start Date : 1416
Monument Type : Blood Letting House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C16th addition
Monument End Date : 1532
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Timber Framed Building, Blood Letting House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1374 addition
Monument End Date : 1374
Monument Start Date : 1374
Monument Type : Barn, Storehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1550
Monument End Date : 1550
Monument Start Date : 1550
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1667-75 addition
Monument End Date : 1675
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18th addition
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19th alterations
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1180
Monument End Date : 1180
Monument Start Date : 1180
Monument Type : Granary
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use by 1998
Monument End Date : 1998
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Teachers House, School, School Boarding House, Ecclesiastical Office
Evidence : Extant Building, Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built early C13th
Monument End Date : 1232
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Cellar
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built C13th
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Stable, Undercroft
Evidence : Extant Building, Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built mid C13th
Monument End Date : 1266
Monument Start Date : 1233
Monument Type : Great Hall, Cloister
Evidence : Extant Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1291-2
Monument End Date : 1292
Monument Start Date : 1291
Monument Type : Hostel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C14th additions and alterations
Monument End Date : 1332
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Great Hall, Monastic Dwelling, Blood Letting House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14th additions
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Wall, Guest House
Evidence : Extant Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : c1330 addition
Monument End Date : 1340
Monument Start Date : 1320
Monument Type : Great Hall
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48703
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CB 68
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 85113
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48692
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48693
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48694
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48695
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48696
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48698
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48700
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48701
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48704
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48707
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48708
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48709
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48710
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48711
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48712
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48713
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 48735
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 58 SW 14
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1142948
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 58 SW 14
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-11-01
End Date : 1969-11-01
Associated Activities : Primary, STEEPLEGATE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1980-01-01
End Date : 1980-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ELY CATHEDRAL, NORTH RANGE (ENR 87)
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1987-01-01
End Date : 1987-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS/CANONRY HOUSE GARDEN
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1990-01-01
End Date : 1990-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1991-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, WALSINGHAM HOUSE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1991-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, WALSINGHAM HOUSE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1991-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD BISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, NEW DRAMA & ART CENTRE, THE KING'S SCHOOL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31