HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Killegrews

Hob Uid: 375703
Location :
Essex
Chelmsford
Margaretting
Grid Ref : TL6885002780
Summary : A moated site of medieval date surrounding Killigrews House. The moated site includes a trapezoidal island which measures a maximum of 46 metres north-south and 48 metres east-west. The island is contained by a water-filled moat measuring up to 12 metres wide and at least 3 metres deep. The island is revetted with walls of early 16th century brick, of which only a small section still stands to its original height of 2 metres. Octagonal brick turrets are built into the north west and south west corners of the walls and are also 16th century in date. A doorway in the eastern face of each turret opens into a small chamber; nesting boxes built into the sides of these chambers suggest that they were both formerly used as dovecotes. Both the walls and the corner turrets have loopholes set into them. The house and the moated site were originally known as Shenfields, after the messuage which was held by William de Shenvils in 1279. The western half of the present house, together with the walls and turrets, is thought to have been built in either the late 15th or early 16th century by John Berdefeld. The house was refronted and altered in 1714 by William Alexander. In the 20th century a wing was added to the east side in a 18th century style. The house subsequently took the name of 'Killigrews' from Martin Killigrew who resided at or near the propert in 1753.
More information : [TL 6885 0278] Killegrews [TI] MOAT [GT] (1)

KILLEGREWS [GT] (2)

Killegrews, formerly Shenfield, was almost entirely rebuilt in E. 18th c. One of the ground floor rooms is lined with E. 17thc panelling. The rectangular moat is revetted on the inner face with walls of E. 16th c. brick. Octagonal brick turrets at the N.W. and S.W. angles are also E. 16th c.
Condition - good. House and brick turrets Grade II* (3-4)

Killegrews, name verified; is as described and has little
modern addition. The 16th century turrets are in good
condition, as is the inner moat revetting. Outstanding - see
photographs.

The moat is complete, waterfilled, and measures overall circa 70.0m sub-square.

Published survey (25") correct. (5)

TL 68860278 (centred). The house, Killegrews (name confirmed), is as described externally, although with more modern extensions to rear, and is now subdivided into two dwellings owned separately.

The moat around the house is trapezoidal, c. 70m N-S on the W, reducing to c. 55 on the E, by 70m E-W. The original drive came straight off the London Road (now the A12) and approached the site from the W, so that the main house frontage, the longest side of the moat and the two octagonal corner turrets would all have served to impress the oncoming visitor. However, in the 19thc the railway served this access, and the approach since then has been from the N before swinging back onto the original line for the final 50m. NW of the point where the two blocks meet is a large rectangular 'pond' feature, with its sides pushed in places and the bottom somewhat irregular, but with a certain angularity and form to its plan suggesting it is more than a gravel pit. It is somewhat large to be a fishpond, and could possibly have been purely ornamental designed again to impress approaching visitors, although against this hypothesis is the fact that it seems to lie slightly askew to line of the western approach. It is shown to be of some antiquity, however, since the re-routed 19thc track cuts its NE corner. (The feature has not been surveyed).

The inner face of the moat is brick-lined extending above ground level to form a crenellated garden wall, subsequently lowered in front of the house between the corner turrets, probably at the time of the Georgian remodelling of the Tudor house. The outer edge of the W arm is also brick-lined, although probably dating from a later period; the remainder of the outer face is revetted by wood. The original bridge over the W arm has been widened slightly by the addition of metal girders either side. The bridge over the E arm was replaced by a causeway some 30-40 years ago.

There are suggestions of a low retaining bank to the E arm, but the feature seems better explained as one of three slight terraces running N-S through the garden as it falls gently to the River Wid. The moat itself lies on level ground in the wide bottom of the valley and no external damming would really have been necessary.

Foundations are frequently encountered during gardening on the island, and wall lines also show up as parch marks in dry weather. These are thought by Mr and Mrs Burnett (part owners of the property) to belong to the original Tudor house almost completely swept away by the Georgian remodelling. A low building platform upto 0.2m high lies immediately NW of the moat. Mrs Burnett said this was meant to be the site of the Tudor chaple.

No change to published survey at 1:2500. (6)

TL 688 028. Killigrews Moated Site. Scheduled 167. (7)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1919-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" N.S.L. 1960
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Essex. Volume II: [central and south-west]
Source details :
Page(s) : 185-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1921
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Chelmsford, 19-JUN-1975
Page(s) : 159
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 719
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JRL 21-NOV-75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 HMJ 20-JUL-1988
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : County list of Scheduled Ancient Monuments : December 1987
Source details : Essex
Page(s) : 7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 19-Mar-99
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C15 or early C16
Monument End Date : 1532
Monument Start Date : 1467
Monument Type : Manor House, Moat, Revetment, Loopholed Wall, Turret, Dovecote
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork, Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in 1714
Monument End Date : 1714
Monument Start Date : 1714
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : C20 addition
Monument End Date : 1999
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : EX 167
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 33244
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 112883
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 112884
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 60 SE 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 60 SE 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-11-21
End Date : 1975-11-21
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: OS SWEEPS
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1983-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31