HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 379728

Hob Uid: 379728
Location :
Suffolk
West Suffolk
Barrow
Grid Ref : TL7629064010
Summary : Barrow Hall was a large brick building, within a moat. It was pulled down about 1730. Barrow Hall has been completely levelled; its site has been ploughed and is at present under crop. The old Hall stood within a strongly defended, nearly square water-filled homestead moat, situated on flat ground. The moated island measures up to 96 metres by 90 metres and is surrounded by a waterfilled ditch averaging 21 metres in width and 4 metres in depth. An inner bank, along the west and south sides may originally have extended around all but the north-western corner of the island. It may have acted as a raised walkway surrounding a formal garden. Outer banks survive along the north, east, south and part of the west sides. Two ponds extending northwards from the western moat arm may represent either medieval fishponds or ornamental garden features asociated with an early post-medieval formal garden north of the moat. Apparently spring fed, the moat drained at the north west through the fishponds. Access to the island, which is not raised, is by an original causeway in the west arm.The enclosed area is now under standing corn and cropmarks may indicate the house site. A fish pond, 0.5km to the north at TL 76176456, seems contemporary with the site, being connected to it by ditches. The owner in 1977, Mr WJ Roberts, had no further information on the Hall, and the Tithe Map 1840 shows the area as garden. Scheduled.
More information : (TL 76296401) Barrow Hall (NR) (site of) (NAT) (1)

At Barrow Hall there is one perfect, large, square moat, with the
western side extended northwards, which is evidently part of the
enclosure of another area. These moats have been strengthened with
inner and outer banks. That on the outside is preserved only at the
south corner and the southern side. Outside the north arm another
fragment remains but the greater part was destroyed in the 19th
century.

When in a complete state this must have been one of the strongest
homestead defences in the country. (2)

The Manor of Barrow is mentioned from the 11th century until 1694.
(3)

Barrow Hall was a large brick building, moated. It was pulled down
about 1730; some fragments of it, together with the fine moat,
remain. (4)

Barrow Hall (name confirmed) has been completely levelled; its site
has been ploughed and is at present under crop. The farmhouse now
named Barrow Hall, 200.0m to the north west, is mostly 19th century.
The old Hall stood within a strongly defended, nearly square
water-filled homestead moat. It is situated on flat ground and
measures overall 140.0m north-south by 132.0 m transversely.
The west arm extends northwards 155.0m as fishponds. There is no
evidence to suggest it was connected with a dry overflow ditch running north from near the north east angle, so farming a second, outer enclosure. The main ditch averages 20.0m wide and 4.5m in depth. Apparently spring fed, it drained at the north west through the fishponds. An outer retaining bank 0.6m high follows the north east and south arms.

Access to the island, which is not raised, is by an original causeway
in the west arm. An inner bank 0.8m high still survives along the
south and part of the west sides but has been destroyed on the east.
the enclosed area is now under standing corn and cropmarks centred TL
76286403 may indicate the house site.

A fish pond, 0.5km to the north at TL 76176456, seems contemporary
with the site, being connected to it by ditches.

The present owner Mr. W. J. Roberts, has no further information on the Hall and the Tithe Map 1840 shows the area as garden.
Published survey (25" 1904) revised. (5)

TL 7627 6402. The rectangular moated island measures up to 96 metres by 90 metres and is surrounded by a waterfilled moat averaging 21 metres in width and up to 4 metres in depth. An inner bank along the west and south sides may originally have extended all but the north-west corner of the island, and may have acted as a raised walkway surrounding a formal garden. Outer banks survive along the north, east, south and part of the west sides. Two ponds extending northwards from the western moat arm may represent either medieval fishponds or ornamental garden features associated with an early post-medieval formal garden north of the moat.

The site is believed to represent the site of the manor of Barrow. A 16th century map shows an L-shaped manor house standing within the moated island. Barrow Hall is recorded as standing until the mid 18th century. Building material has been uncovered on the site, along with an iron key and a fragment of a bronze belt end. The present Barrow Hall dates to the 17th century and is Listed Grade II. It stands to the north-west of the moated site. Moat scheduled. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" Prov. Edn. 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 620
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Manors of Suffolk 7 1911 3ff (W A Copinger)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist and Antiqs of Suffolk Thingoe Hundred 1838 16 (J Gage)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GJM 08-AUG-77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling Revision, 09-MAY-2001
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Until mid C18th
Monument End Date : 1750
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Fishpond, Moat, Formal Garden, Ornamental Pond
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 33309
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 283717
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 76 SE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 76 SE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-08-14
End Date : 1962-08-14
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 76 SE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-08-08
End Date : 1977-08-08