HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 37990

Hob Uid: 37990
Location :
Cumbria
South Lakeland
Urswick
Grid Ref : SD2628073630
Summary : Urswick Grammar School,founded 1585, enlarged 1873, 1883, C20th.
More information : Urswick Grammar School "...was founded by William Marshall of Lambeth
of the ancient family of Marshall, by his will dated 15 July 1579 and
proved 1579-80....Letters patent were granted 6 years later by Queen
Elizabeth for a grammar school in the parish to be called the
Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth of the foundation of
William Marshall.
The vicars of Urswick seem generally to have acted as masters of the
grammar school. Apart from this fact little or nothing is known of
the early history of the school, no records or registers were kept
until the Charity Commissioners about sixty years ago, when the
school became a public elementary school, though it retains the old
title of Urswick Grammar School" (1)

[SD 26287363] Free Grammar School [TI] (2)

[SD 26277361 ASP] Swan Inn [TI] (3)

[Information as by Authorty 1] The only endowment, 15 pounds a year
from an estate in Norfolk, is paid regularly to the Rev
William Ponsonby, Vicar of Urswick, and master of the school: he
has also the advantage of a school-room, with apartments above,
which latter he lets for 3 guineas a year. He has now about 40
scholars. Repairs are paid by subscriptions from the inhabitants.
[Report of 1820]
The existing school buildings were erected at various times. A
small portion of them consists of the original building. A
classroom was added between 1871 and 1876 and in 1884 the school
was considerably enlarged. The school has now 223 scholars, and is
a Public Elementary. (4)

"The SW end is the original building, built 1585, now a private
dwelling, but formerly the schoolmasters house till c.1925. It
was extended eastwards in 1873 to provide an Infants Room, and
the wing at the rear was added in 1883. All other additions are
modern. The school is known as 'URSWICK GRAMMAR SCHOOL'." (5)

The original building is of two storeys with gabled roof.
All features are now modern, and the walls are covered with
pebble-dash, but they are 0.8m in thickness at ground level.
The extension to the NE has been carried out in such a way as
to show no break in the lines of the building, and the original
fabric is now recognised only by the extra thickness of its
walls. All other additions upon the NW side are also quite
modern. No dates or inscriptions are visible.
The SWAN INN (Authority 3) stands to the SW of the school
buildings. It is not, and has never been, associated with the
school (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Vol.2, 1908. p.608.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1850
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1919
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Charity Comms-Reports 9 (Lancs) Reports of 1820, 1898. 2693-2695 (Poss CRO Preston, Lancs.)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 16-JUN-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Oral: Miss DOBSON (former Headmistress) Little Urswick, Dalton-in-Furness, Lancs. 13.6.58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ASP 16-JUN-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1883
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : School
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 27 SE 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 27 SE 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1958-06-16
End Date : 1958-06-16