HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Melford Hall

Hob Uid: 381880
Location :
Suffolk
Babergh
Long Melford
Grid Ref : TL8666046160
Summary : Moated house constructed in 1559 with 18th and 19th century additions. Field investigations in 1980 found the moat to be rectangular in plan, measuring 270 metres north-south by 160 metres east-west. The east arm had been filled but was traced as a shallow depression at its northern end. The north arm was dry, 18 metres wide and 2.3 metres deep, with a large inner retaining bank 1 metre high. The west arm was 7 metres wide and water-filled. The south arm measured 10 metres wide and had an outer retaining bank 1.5 metres high. It was waterfilled by a small stream, the Chad Brook. An estate map of 1630 shows the house completely moated.
More information : TL 86664616 Melford Hall (NR) (1)

Melford Hall, a moated brick mansion built in 1559 with
additions in the 18th and 19th centuries. Grade 1. The large
quadrangular moat is imperfect, but within it, on the north
side, is an earthen bank of considerable width. (2-3)

TL 86664618. Melford Hall, Name confirmed, is National Trust
property in good condition.

The Hall and Garden are enclosed by the remains of a large
rectangular moat measuring 270.0m north-south by 160.0m The
east arm is filled but can be traced as a very shallow
depression at its northern end. The north arm is dry, 18.0m wide
and 2.3m deep, with a large inner retaining bank 1.0m high. The
west arm, 7.0m wide is water filled by surface drainage and
has an outer retaining bank rising from ground level at the
north to 2.5m at the south. The south arm 10.0m wide, has an
outer retaining bank 1.5m high and is waterfilled by a small
stream.(the Chad Brook) This arm serves a secondary function as
a mill race.

Two large ponds within the moat are ornamental fish and boating
waters.

The occupier, who was the previous owner, (a) stated the house
to be built on a virgin site in the 16th century. An estate
map of 1630, kept at the hall, shows the house completely moated
with a gate house at TL 86724618.

It seems probable that the entire moat is ornamental, constructed
at the same time as the house.

Published 1:2500 survey revised. (4)

Grade II* garden. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1928
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 621
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Melford Rural District, January 1949
Page(s) : 39
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GJM 10-JAN-80
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Sir Richard Hyde Parker
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Suffolk
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 39

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1559
Monument End Date : 1559
Monument Start Date : 1559
Monument Type : Country House, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : documented 1630
Monument End Date : 1630
Monument Start Date : 1630
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18/19 additions
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 59994
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 278165
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : NMR 4520/23
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : NMR 4520/24
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 84 NE 14
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 534639
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 84 NE 14
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1980-01-10
End Date : 1980-01-10
Associated Activities : LAND AT LONG MELFORD HALL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31
Associated Activities : LAND AT MELFORD HALL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2016-01-01
End Date : 2017-12-31