HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kenninghall Place

Hob Uid: 387399
Location :
Norfolk
Breckland
Kenninghall
Grid Ref : TM0691085610
Summary : A mansion called East Hall was the residence of the lords of the manor until it was taken down by Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, who erected a more stately mansion, Kenninghall Place, about a quarter of a mile to the north east of it between 1505-25. However, circa 1650 it was demolished and the materials sold with only the service wing surviving. Now in domestic use, the service wing is constructed from brick with internal timber partitioning and a plain tiled roof. It is of two storeys plus attic with polygonal corner shafts annulated at first floor level with bell moulding.
More information : (TM 06918559) Kenninghall Palace (NR) site of (NAT). (1)

(TM 06918561) Kenninghall Place (NAT). (2)

Kenninghall Place forms one wing of the former Manor house of the
Dukes of Norfolk which was built in the early 16th Century when
East Hall was demolished.

It was situated in a deer park of 700 acres and part demolished
in 1650. (3-4)

The extant house, now a farmhouse, is a brick structure, and not
outstanding. The site of "Kenninghall Palace" is now a level
grass area, with no trace of the former building.

Tithe map of 1840 (in possession of CRO) consulted, makes no
mention of the Manor house or deer park. (5)

Kenninghall Place. Service wing of Palace of Dukes of Norfolk (remainder destroyed c1650), now domestic. 1505-25 with later alterations. Grade II* (see list for details) (6)

Additional reference (7)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1959
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Wayland, 1948
Page(s) : 13
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Blomefield F. 1805. History of Norfolk, I, 215
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Norfolk archaeology : a journal of archaeology and local history
Source details :
Page(s) : 293-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7, 1872
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 AJT 22-SEP-77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Breckland, 17-MAY-1984
Page(s) : 19
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 165
Source Number : 7
Source : North-west and south Norfolk
Source details :
Page(s) : 217
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1505-25
Monument End Date : 1525
Monument Start Date : 1505
Monument Type : Manor House, Service Wing
Evidence : Destroyed Monument, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished circa 1650
Monument End Date : 1660
Monument Start Date : 1640
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : From circa 1650
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1641
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 10846
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 36804
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 220567
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TM 08 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TM 08 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-09-22
End Date : 1977-09-22