HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hoxne Priory

Hob Uid: 388959
Location :
Suffolk
Mid Suffolk
Hoxne
Grid Ref : TM1830076400
Summary : The remains of a Benedictine Priory at Abbey Farm, located near the centre of the village of Hoxne. The south western part of the monastic precinct with the remains of fishponds and a small moated site in the north western part of the precinct are scheduled. A secular college dedicated to St Aethelberht was founded here before 951 but was destroyed soon after. It was revived as a secular cathedral by 1040 when Hoxne was a joint see with North Elmham, but the association was dissolved in 1072. The church of St Peter and the Chapel of St Edmund, King and Martyr, where St Edmund's body had resided until translation to Bury St Edmunds, were granted to the monks of Norwich in 1101. In 1130, by when the chapel had been rebuilt, Maurice of Windsor gave the chapel so that a convent of Benedictine monks could be placed there. According to the 18th century historian, Blomefield, the monks were moved to the site of the chapel around 1226. The priory was not completed until 1267. Hoxne Priory was a small house of six or seven monks under a prior or warden who was appointed by the prior of Norwich. The Benedictine priory was dissolved in 1538. Hoxne Priory is of particular interest as an example of a small monastery dependent on a much larger monastic house. Scheduled.
More information : (TM 183764) Hoxne Priory (NR) (Site of) Moat (NR) Moat
(NR). (1)

Benedictine Priory dedicated to St Aethelberht, was founded
before 951, probably destroyed soon after, but became a joint see
with N Elmham. The church of St Peter and chapel of St Edmund
were granted to the monks of Norwich in 1101; in 1130 the rebuilt
chapel was given for a convent of monks: there were usually 7-8
with a prior and a school was maintained. It was dissolved in
1538. (2)

Secular college of St Aethelberht founded before 951, probably
destroyed soon after,was revived as a secular cathedral before
1040 and dissolved probably in 1072. (3)

Benedictine Priory was on the site of the wooden chapel where St
Edmund's body rested for 33 years until its removal to Bury St
Edmunds c 903. (4-5)

A moat surrounded the priory, the eastern and most of the northern
sides remain. Another length branches from the north, where also
is a broad moat surrounding a very small islet. (6)

All that remains of the Priory is a section of flint walling,
40.0m long, which is incorporated in later walling. The outline
of two pointed arches with facing stones removed can be seen in
the wall, but they cannot be dated. A number of worked stone
blocks lie around the garden.

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 68,427,475
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference
Source details : ONB 1903 2 ref: (d) White's History of Suffolk 1855
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History
Source details :
Page(s) : XLI
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7, 1887-91
Source Number : 6
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 611-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Scheduled 07-Mar-2002
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1072
Monument Start Date : 1040
Monument Type : Cathedral
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Extant by 951
Monument End Date : 951
Monument Start Date : 951
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery, Priory, Chapel, Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 30602
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TM 17 NE 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 132248
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1269054
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1301750
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TM 17 NE 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-03-01
End Date : 1974-03-01
Associated Activities : ABBEY FARM, HOXNE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31