HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Mettingham Castle

Hob Uid: 391619
Location :
Suffolk
East Suffolk
Mettingham
Grid Ref : TM3590088600
Summary : Earthwork and structural remains of a moated, fortified manor house and college of secular priests, the latter extant between 1394 and 1542. A licence to crenellate the manor house was granted in 1342. A document of 1562 describes the site as being enclosed by a stone wall and entered via a gatehouse. Within were stables, servants' lodgings, kitchen, bakehouse, brewhouse, malting house, storehouses, and an aisled hall. This house was probably demolished in the 18th century and was replaced by a house which was in turn demolished circa 1880. The remains of the fortified house include the gatehouse and part of the curtain wall and barbican.
More information : (Centred TM 360886) Castle & College (NR) (remains of) (NAT)
Moats (NR) (1)

The first castle, or perhaps fortified manor house, of the de Norwich family, stood within the small moat (at TM36008865).

It was rebuilt on a larger scale, circa 1343, in the moated
area to the north (at TM 35968871). To the south is a later moated enclosure (at TM 35978862) which contains the earliest moat in its northeast corner, and it is here that the modern Mettingham Castle stands. Other ditches to the east may have formed part of the 14th century fortifications.

The gate house to the north, remains of the barbican, and other wall fragments survive.

A college (originally founded at Raveningham in 1350 by Sir John de Norwich) was settled at Mettingham Castle in 1394, where it remained till its dissolution in 1542. The collegiate buildings were erected in the small moated site where the first castle stood, and some fragments of wall still stand. Scheduled. Plan. (2-5)

The remains of the castle and college, now part of a farm complex, are as described by authority 2. See photos.
Published survey (25") of moats revised. (6)

The ruins of a fortified manor house. Founded by Sir John de Norwich who was granted licence to crenellate in 1342, the building work being completed by Dame Margaret, his wife. The moated site enclosed about 5 acres of which the castle occupied the northern enclosure. The buildings of the late C14 and C15
monastic college were sited within a smaller moated enclosure to the south of the castle (see Item 4/19). The chief remains of the castle is the gatehouse in the north wall. This is of flint rubble, with freestone and red brick dressings. 3 storeys with ruinous crenellated parapet. Flanking towers, square to the front and canted back to the side walls. Moulded stone entrance arch, dying at the imposts; there are remains of the barbican and doorways to the machicolated gallery which was above. The archway through the gatehouse was vaulted. To each side of the gatehouse are substantial remains of the northern curtain walls with window openings at 3 levels. Part of the south wall also survives. Listed Grade II*. (7)

Listed by Cathcart King. (8)

Earthwork and structural remains of a moated, fortified manor house and college of secular priests, the latter extant between 1394 and 1542. A licence to crenellate the manor house was granted in 1342. A document of 1562 describes the site as being enclosed by a stone wall and entered via a gatehouse. Within were stables, servants' lodgings, kitchen, bakehouse, brewhouse, malting house, storehouses, and an aisled hall. This house was probably demolished in the 18th century and was replaced by a house which was in turn demolished circa 1880. The remains of the fortified house include the gatehouse and part of the curtain wall and barbican. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1973
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The little guides
Source details : Little Guide Suff 1957 253-4 (Dickenson)
Page(s) : 253-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 432
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : AM List Eng 31 12 71, 198
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History
Source details : C R Manning
Page(s) : 78
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1864
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JB 19-MAR-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Waveney, 01-Sep-1953
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 458
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History
Source details :
Page(s) : 115-123
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 37

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant until 1342
Monument End Date : 1342
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Bailey, Castle
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licenced 1342
Monument End Date : 1342
Monument Start Date : 1342
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Gatehouse, Barbican, Curtain Wall, Moat
Evidence : Ruined Building, Structure, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Documented 1562
Monument End Date : 1562
Monument Start Date : 1562
Monument Type : Aisled Hall House, Gatehouse, Stable, Service Wing, Kitchen, Bakehouse, Brewhouse, Malt House, Storehouse, Fruit Store, Buttery, Orchard, Fishpond, Curtain Wall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished/rebuilt C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished c1880
Monument End Date : 1890
Monument Start Date : 1870
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : SF 70
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 282170
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 282169
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TM 38 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 392353
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TM 38 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-03-19
End Date : 1968-03-19
Associated Activities : Primary, METTINGHAM CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, METTINGHAM CASTLE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, METTINGHAM CASTLE KEEP
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31