HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bungay Castle

Hob Uid: 391668
Location :
Suffolk
East Suffolk
Bungay
Grid Ref : TM3355589775
Summary : Medieval castle and associated earthworks. The castle was built as a keep with two baileys in 1165 by the Earl of Norfolk. He rebelled against the King, and in 1174, after a short siege involving a mining assault to bring the keep down, was surrendered and the keep slighted. Licence to refortify the site was granted in 1294, the wreck of the early keep being surrounded by a wall with a twin tower gatehouse and a single tower. At this time the inner bailey was also walled. The castle was abandoned circa 1365.
More information : (Centred TM 335897) Castle (NR) (Remains of) (NAT)
Castle Hills (NR). (1)

For description and plans of the castle see guide book in illustration card. Scheduled. (2-3)

Bungay Castle is kept in repair by Bungay Town Trust and East Suffolk County Council. The remains are in excellent condition -
see photographs.
Earthworks resurveyed at 1:2500. Divorced survey of masonry.
at 1:2500. (4)

Scheduling suspended or abandoned. (5)

The castle was built as a keep with two baileys in 1165 by the Earl of Norfolk. He rebelled against the King, and in 1174, after a short siege involving a mining assault to bring the keep down, was surrendered and the keep slighted. Licence to refortify the site was granted in 1294, the wreck of the early keep being surrounded by a wall with a twin tower gatehouse and a single tower. At this time the inner bailey was also walled. The castle was abandoned circa 1365. (6)

Now almost a complete ruin, the remains of 2 circular towers still stand, with lower part with squared stonework. The ground plan was originally octagonal and the keep 54 ft square. Remains of walls are scattered about in flint rubble work, as are the various outer defences, earthworks, moats, etc. In 1140 Hugh Bigod, who had been created 1st Earl of Norfolk by Stephen, supported a rebellion against the King and was defeated at Bungay, and the Castle reduced. Re-instated, Hugh Bigod was again attacked, this time by Henry II on his accession to the throne, and was defeated and pardned on condition that the fortress was dismantled. This was carried out, and it remained uninhabitable, until 1281. Another Roger Bigod then obtained a licence to embattle his house, which stood on the old castle site. By 1312 the Castle had passed to Thomas de Brotherton in the reign of Edward II. In 1338, a daughter of Brotherton marrying Edward de Montacute the Castle passed into that family, and again changed ownership by marriage of his daughter to William de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk. By 1382 an inquisition reports that the castle was old and ruinous. By 1477 the property had passed to the Howards and soon after was again consigned to neglect as a residence. From C16 onwards it changed hands from time to time as a ruined site until about the year 1800 it passed back to the then Earl of Norfolk. Listed Grade I. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1957
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Bungay Castle (H Braun)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : AM List Eng & Wales 1971 198
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 02-APR-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : HBMC(Eng)Record Form March 1984
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 455
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of waveney, 09-May-1949
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1165-74
Monument End Date : 1174
Monument Start Date : 1165
Monument Type : Bailey, Keep
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : For undermining the keep 1174
Monument End Date : 1174
Monument Start Date : 1174
Monument Type : Tunnel
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1294-1365
Monument End Date : 1365
Monument Start Date : 1294
Monument Type : Keep, Gatehouse, Curtain Wall, Structure, Bailey
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : SF 1
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : SF 13
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Suffolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 4
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 409866
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TM 38 NW 15
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1890-01-01
End Date : 1890-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1934-01-01
End Date : 1935-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TM 38 NW 15
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-04-02
End Date : 1968-04-02
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE (INNER BAILEY)
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1990-01-01
End Date : 1990-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1993-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, EASTERN COUNTIES BUS DEPOT, PRIORS LANE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE KEEP
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CASTLE ORCHARD HOUSE, CASTLE ORCHARD
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2004-01-01
End Date : 2004-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE ACCESS
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, BUNGAY CASTLE BAILEY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2017-01-01
End Date : 2017-12-31