HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Arundel Castle

Hob Uid: 392715
Location :
West Sussex
Arun
Arundel
Grid Ref : TQ0185007350
Summary : Castle founded by 1070 with additions including a 12th century keep and gatehouse and a 13th century barbican and curtain wall. The castle was subjected to an unsympathetic rebuild in 1791-1815, which replaced sections destroyed in the civil war and altered many of the surviving buildings. Parts were also rebuilt between 1890-1903.
More information : (TQ 01850735) Arundel Castle (NR) Keep (NR) (1)

(TQ 01830730) Gateway (NR) (TQ 01840730) Clock Tower (NR)
(TQ 01780738) Bevis's Tower (NR) (TQ 02010738) Fishponds (TI) (2)

Arundel Castle was founded by Roger de Montgomery before 1070 and, like Windsor, was divided into two wards with the mount in the re-entrant angle between them.

The keep and curtain walls are 12th and 13th century respectively but the domestic buildings in the south east of the castle are 18th-19th century replacing that portion of the castle destroyed during the Civil War. (3-6)

Arundel Castle as described. In excellent condition. The official residence of the Duke of Norfolk, who has a private house on the estate. Three fishponds, below the castle to the E, now ornamental features, are probably Md. See Map Diagram.
Published 1:2500 survey revised. (7)

A steep-sided square earthwork just south of the castle at TQ 01940717, now the site of a bowling green, was probably the site of a gatehouse. An old hollow way leads up to the Barbican of the castle. (7a,7b)

Arundel Castle. Lower part of gatehouse possibly late C11, built for Roger de Montgomery, who was granted Arundel by William the Conqueror.

Middle stage of gatehouse, keep, and cellars under south-east range appear (stylistically) to date from late C12; possibly from tenure of Earl William de Albini. Barbican, upper stage of gatehouse, north-west buttress, and well tower to keep, appear (stylistically) to date from late C13, possibly from time of Richard, 1st Earl of Arundel, who received the grant of a fair to help repair the castle [A Tipping: English Homes]. Curtain and towers round north end also mediaeval, but of uncertain date, and restored in late C19 [photograph showing unrestored condition in possession of Arundel Society].

North-east range may have been rebuilt in early C16 [painting in Arundel Castle], possibly by William, 11th Earl of Arundel [Tipping: op.cit.]. The general form of this range is the same as in the early C16. James Gibbs supplied plans for the 8th Duke of Norfolk (who died in 1732) [Gibbs MSS]. This may have been for the south-east range [plan before late C18 rebuilding illustrated in Dallaway "History of Western Sussex": 1836].

North-east, south-east and south-west ranges rebuilt by 11th Duke (succeeded in 1786, died in 1815], keeping to existing outline of buildings [cf. Hollar's view of Arundel, c.1640]. Architect initially Francis Horn, who died in 1789. Then James
Teasdale, otherwise unknown, who signed the plans for the rebuilding illustrated in Dallaway [op.cit.]. (A John Teasdale the Elder, of Greystoke, Cumberland, supplied sculpture for the 11th Duke from 1790 onwards [Gunnis: Dictionary of British
Sculptors]). Of this rebuilding only the Library, completed in 1801 [Clifford Musgrave: Arundel Castle], survives. The campaign was completed by 5th June 1815, when the Baron's Hall was first used [Dallaway: op.cit.].

Chapel, Baron's Hall, remainder of south-west range, all of south-east range apart from cellar, and all of north-east range above, and north of the library, rebuilt 1890-1903. Architect Charles Alban Buckler. This rebuilding was largely a thorough-going purge of all the details, substituting C13 ones for Teasdale's C15 ones. (8)

Historical account and description of castle and surroundings. Clark states that Arundel is one of the few castles referred to as a castle in Domesday as extant at the Conquest, at which time it had been held by Earl Godwin and then King Harold. (9)

"Arundel Castle is a great disappointment". A late 11th century castle with subsequent additions and modifications including "silly spirited Gothic additions of 1791-1815" and "an almost complete rebuilding in an unfeeling Windsor Castle style which neither amuses nor convinces". (10)

Arundel Castle. Scheduled area revised. (11)

"Arundel Castle in the time of King Edward paid 40 shillings from a mill, 20 shillings for 3 banquets and 20 shillings for 1 entertainmaent". (12)

The castle was taken into royal hands in 1102 but was settled on the Earl of Sussex in 1138-9. It was again in the King's hands in 1176, and remained so until 1189. (13)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1937
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Medieval military architecture in England. Volume 1
Source details :
Page(s) : 195-203
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Sussex
Source details :
Page(s) : 91-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 31-Jul-91
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : West Sussex
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 44
Source Number : 12
Source : Domesday Book, 2 : Sussex
Source details : Section 11.2
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 554
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details :
Page(s) : 402-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 92, 1936
Source Number : 4
Source : Antiquity
Source details : (G W Eustace)
Page(s) : 477
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3, 1929
Source Number : 5
Source : The castles of Great Britain
Source details : 1953
Page(s) : 61-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MLGH Prov List 782/11/A April 1947 (Arundel MB)
Page(s) : 1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 13-JAN-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Eustace G W. 1922. Arundel Borough and Castle
Page(s) : 18-26,59-60, 91,229
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7b
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : Corr 6" undated (EC Curwen)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Arundel Area, 07-OCT-1974
Page(s) : 1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 692

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Saxo-Norman
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 1042
Monument Type : Fort
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled by 1070
Monument End Date : 1070
Monument Start Date : 1070
Monument Type : Castle, Bailey
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 12th century
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Castle, Keep, Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 13th century
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Castle, Barbican, Curtain Wall, Interval Tower
Evidence : Extant Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1791-1815
Monument End Date : 1815
Monument Start Date : 1791
Monument Type : Great House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : WS 428
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 12888
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 297142
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 297215
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 60088
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : NMR 1686/104
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : CCC 8869/3009
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 00 NW 101
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 392729
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 620708
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 00 NW 52
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-01-13
End Date : 1970-01-13
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, NORTH BAILEY, ARUNDEL CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ARUNDEL CASTLE, TILTING YARD STEPS AND NEW DRIVEWAY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2003-01-01
End Date : 2004-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ARUNDEL CASTLE CAR PARK
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ARUNDEL CASTLE: WATER PIPE WORKS
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ARUNDEL CASTLE: FORMER TOWN WALL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31