HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 394655

Hob Uid: 394655
Location :
Windsor And Maidenhead
Windsor And Maidenhead
Datchet
Grid Ref : TQ0026077900
Summary : Country house built 1813-17 on the moated site of a possible fortified house. The earlier house was built after 1331, rebuilt or repaired 1511-16, rebuilt again in the early 17th century and partly remodelled circa 1700-5. It burned down in 1812. The present building has an entrance courtyard flanked by stables and a gatehouse and a main facade with a projecting, central, three storey tower. South west of the house, beyond the moat, is a chapel built in 1817.
More information : (TQ 00027791) Ditton Park (NAT). (1)

A square built mansion with access by a drawbridge over the moat. The present house and chapel were rebuilt after a fire in 1812, but they contain a good many fittings from the former house.

The earlier house here was crenellated or fortified in 1331 (a).
It was enlarged at various periods and is said to have been rebuilt in the E 17th c. The small building near the SE corner of the park, formerly a chantry, is now a chapel. (2)

The moat completely surrounds the house and gardens and is crossed by a bridge on the NE.

The present house (TQ 00027791) and the disused chapel (TQ 00267790) are 19th c; the surrounding 'moat' which is more in the nature of an ornamental boating lake, the (pseudo) gatehouse and drawbridge appear to be contemporary This was confirmed by the officer in charge of the RN establishment of which the house is the headquarters.

No trace of the original house remains. (3)

No change.

Additional bibliography (5)

Country house built 1813-17 on the moated site of a possible fortified house. The earlier house was built after 1331, rebuilt or repaired 1511-16, rebuilt again in the early 17th century and partly remodelled circa 1700-5. It burned down in 1812. The present building has an entrance courtyard flanked by stables and a gatehouse and a main facade with a projecting, central, three storey tower. South west of the house, beyond the moat, is a chapel built in 1817. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1960
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Buckingham: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 304
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Cal Pat 1330-4 226
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Buckinghamshire, volume one [south]
Source details :
Page(s) : 289
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NKB 8-JUL-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Colvin H M. History of the King's Works 4 pt 2, 74-5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Berkshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 3
Source Number : 7
Source : Buckinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 279
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : After 1331
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1331
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Demolished Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1511-16
Monument End Date : 1516
Monument Start Date : 1511
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt early C17
Monument End Date : 1632
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled c1700-5
Monument End Date : 1705
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Burned down 1812
Monument End Date : 1812
Monument Start Date : 1812
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1813-17
Monument End Date : 1817
Monument Start Date : 1813
Monument Type : Country House, Gatehouse, Courtyard, Stable
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1817
Monument End Date : 1817
Monument Start Date : 1817
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : From 1917
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1917
Monument Type : Government Office
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 40655
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 40656
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 07 NW 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1105892
Relationship type :

Related Activities :