HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Casino

Hob Uid: 1458535
Location :
Blackpool
Blackpool
Blackpool
Grid Ref : SD3053833490
Summary : The Casino at Blackpool Pleasure Beach was built between 1937 and 1940 to the designs of Joseph Emberton for Leonard Thompson. Though named 'The Casino' it never served as such and was in fact an entertainment complex. Facilities included Kitchens on the ground and first floor, serving a number of restaurants and bars, a billiard room, sports facilities, basement stores, an office and Managers flat. It was restored and altered in 1972 and again in 1977 to 1979 by Keith Ingham. It is constructed of reinforced concrete in the International Modern Style. It is of three storeys with a basement and is designed to a circular plan with a sweep of glazed windows. The circle is broken by three principal projections marking the main entrance and foyer, the main exit and the main public stairs. The exterior is dominated by a tall spiral tower, which with a lower rectangular tower flank the main entrance. The interior has a number of intriguingly curved rooms which have been altered but retain some of the original 1930's style. Features include 'wheel-like' ceiling beams and columns. Above the mezzanine office range is a well-preserved manager's flat with a fine original interior. The Casino is one of only three major works by Emberton to survive including Simpson's of Piccadilly (Westminster) and the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club (Burnham-on-Crouch). Joseph Emberton was the first British-born architect to design convincingly in the Modern Movement style and the only one included in Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip Johnson's ground-breaking New York exhibition of 1932, 'The International Style'.
More information : The Casino at Blackpool Pleasure Beach was built between 1937 and 1940 to the designs of Joseph Emberton for Leonard Thompson. Though called 'The Casino' it never served as such and was in fact an entertainment complex. Facilities included Kitchens on the ground and first floor, serving a number of restaurants and bars, a billiard room, sports facilities, basement stores, an office and Managers flat. It was restored and altered in 1972 and again in 1977 to 1979 by Keith Ingham. It is constructed of reinforced concrete in the International Modern Style. It is of three storeys with a basement and is designed to a circular plan with a sweep of glazed windows. The circle is broken by three principal projections marking the main entrance and foyer, the main exit and the main public stairs. The exterior is dominated by a tall spiral tower, which with a lower rectangular tower flank the main entrance. The interior has a number of intriguingly curved rooms which have been altered but retain some of the original 1930's style. Features include 'wheel-like' ceiling beams and columns. Above the mezzanine office range is a well-preserved manager's flat with a fine original interior. The Casino is one of only three major works by Emberton to survive including Simpson's of Piccadilly (Westminster) and the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club (Burnham-on-Crouch). Joseph Emberton was the first British-born architect to design convincingly in the Modern Movement style and the only one included in Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip Johnson's ground-breaking New York exhibition of 1932, 'The International Style'. [1-3]

Additional Source [4]

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : BLACKPOOL, 23-NOV-2001
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500, 2007
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Architectural Survey Team comments 25-FEB-2008
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Braggs, S. and Harris, D. 2008. Seaside History. http://www.seasidehistory.co.uk/architecture.html [Accessed 01-MAY-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1937-1940
Monument End Date : 1940
Monument Start Date : 1937
Monument Type : Kitchen, Restaurant, Banqueting House, Billiard Hall, Sports Building, Storehouse, Office, Apartment, Bar (Licensed)
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 1972
Monument End Date : 1972
Monument Start Date : 1972
Monument Type : Kitchen, Restaurant, Billiard Hall, Sports Building, Office, Apartment, Bar (Licensed)
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 1977-1979
Monument End Date : 1979
Monument Start Date : 1977
Monument Type : Kitchen, Restaurant, Billiard Hall, Sports Building, Office, Apartment, Bar (Licensed)
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 488188
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA047940
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 33 SW 24
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1354820
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1458491
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :