HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Chantry Chapel Of St Mary Magdalene

Hob Uid: 397538
Location :
Greater London Authority
Kingston upon Thames
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ1857369356
Summary : The Chantry Chapel of St Mary Magdalene was founded by Edward Lovekyn in 1309 as a means of exchange for debts owed to him by the crown. It was partly rebuilt in 1352. In 1547 the Chapel was deconsecrated after being passed to the crown and in 1561 Queen Elizabeth identified the chapel as the home for her new Grammar School. It was subsequently renamed Kingston Grammar School, of which it has been a part ever since.The chapel is three bays wide and a plain rectangular building with gabled east and west ends and octagonal corner turrets at the east end. It was originally flint-faced but the east wall and the two eastern bays of the south wall were re-faced with ashlar in the late 19th century. The east and west windows are similar, having three-light perpendicular windows. There are two-light windows in the north and south façades, with a doorway in the western bay of the south façade.While no longer used for religious services, the chapel is leased by the school as a venue for ceremonies, exhibitions and various events.
More information : [TQ 1857 6936] Chapel [G.T.] (1)

Hospital of St.Mary Magdalene. Probably founded before 1304, dissolved 16th cent.

Collegiate Chapel of St.Mary Magdalene. Founded by Edward Lovekin, 1304. Thought by Tanner to be a hospital, but there are no references to suggest this in the elaborate ordinances of the refounder, John Lovekin, who in 1352 rebuilt the chapel. In 1547 the site was demised by the crown, and the particulars suggest that this establishment was something more than a chapel and house for a warder and two chaplins. Probably there was a hospital here to which this chapel formed an adjunct. A hospital at Kingston for lepers is mentioned by Manning & Bray, who state that in 1316 the lepers quitted the house and pulled down the buildings. [TQ 16 NE 24] It is possible that the college may have been built on this site.

When Queen Elizabeth founded the Grammar School here it was said to be on the site of the chapel and hospital. The chapel, now used as a gym, is scheduled.

The sole existing evidence of this establishment is 'Lovekyns Chapel' (nameplate), as described and preserved as a monument. G.P. AO/65/228/2. (2-5)

The chapel was descheduled on 18-MAR-1999. (6)

The Chantry Chapel of St Mary Magdalene was founded by Edward Lovekyn in 1309 and it was partly rebuilt in 1352. In 1561 Queen Elizabeth identified the chapel as the home for her new Grammar School. It was subsequently renamed Kingston Grammar School, of which it has been a part ever since.

The chapel is three bays wide and a plain rectangular building with gabled east and west ends and octagonal corner turrets at the east end. It was originally flint-faced but the east wall and the two eastern bays of the south wall were re-faced with ashlar in the late 19th century. The east and west windows are similar, having three-light perpendicular windows. There are two-light windows in the north and south façades, with a doorway in the western bay of the south façade. (7)

The Chantry Chapel of St Mary Magdalene was founded by Edward Lovekyn in 1309 as a means of exchange for debts owed to him by the crown. In 1547 the Chapel was deconsecrated after being passed to the crown and in 1561 Queen Elizabeth identified the chapel as the home for her new Grammar School. While no longer used for religious services, the chapel is leased by the school as a venue for ceremonies, exhibitions and various events. (8)









Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 281
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Surrey: volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 125
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ancient monuments in England and Wales : list prepared by the Ministry of Works, corrected to 31st December 1960
Source details :
Page(s) : 87
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FGA 06-JAN-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Descheduling, 18-MAR-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Kingstion upon Thames, 06-OCT-1983
Page(s) : 22
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Kingston Grammar School. Venue Lettings: The Lovekyn Chapel [accessed 21-JUL-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded in 1309
Monument End Date : 1309
Monument Start Date : 1309
Monument Type : Chantry Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Partly rebuilt in 1352
Monument End Date : 1352
Monument Start Date : 1352
Monument Type : Chantry Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Elizabethan
Display Date : Became part of school in 1561
Monument End Date : 1561
Monument Start Date : 1561
Monument Type : Grammar School
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Altered C19th
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1867
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Now
Monument End Date : 2009
Monument Start Date : 2009
Monument Type : Exhibition Hall
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LO 91
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 90369
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 203139
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1184600
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 16 NE 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 16 NE 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-01-06
End Date : 1966-01-06
Associated Activities : Primary, LOVEKYN CHAPEL, 70 LONDON ROAD
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31