HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kenilworth Park

Hob Uid: 333892
Location :
Warwickshire
Warwick
Kenilworth
Grid Ref : SP2687871287
Summary : The location of parks and gardens associated with Kenilworth Castle. The site of the two parks associated with the castle are today in agricultural use. The park and mere are mentioned in confirmation charters of around 1125. The Old or Great Park, containing some 740 acres (circa 308 hectares) in 1581 was stocked with 'deer and wild beasts' and lay to the south of the Mere (a defensive and ornamental lake) and to the north of Rouncil Lane; it existed by the 11th century and was disparked in the mid 17th century. The Chase, which included areas known as Queen's Park and King's Wood, lay to the west of the Mere and Pleasance (Henry V's manor house); its pale remains visible circa 500 metres west of the site of the Pleasance. Of 12th century origin, the Chase was considerably extended in 1302 and again by the Earl of Leicester in about 1570 when it was heavily wooded and well stocked with red deer and other game. This 16th century extension was prior to Elizabeth I's visit in 1575 and the hunting formed the main attraction for the queen during her stay. The Chase was also disparked in the 17th century.Today Kenilworth Castle is situated within a circa 120 hectare site. To the north the boundary is formed by Purlieu Lane which was formed or adapted from an existing route by the Earl of Leicester to provide access to the Chase. The boundary circa 300 metres south of the Castle is marked by a ditch and hedge planted on a mound; this represents the northern pale of the medieval park which lay to the south of the Great Mere.
More information : In 1165 and 1187 the Pipe Rolls contain references to the park which surrounded Kenilworth Castle. Further references occur in the 13th.c. It was considerably enlarged in 1302. In Elizabeth's reign the park or chase was again considerably enlarged, particularly towards the west, impaling part of Blackwellwithin it and also a large nook, extending form Rudfen Lane towards the Pool. With the establishment of the Commonwealth the woods were cut down and the Park and Chase destroyed. (1)

The southern boundary of 'The Olde Parke' shown by Dugdale south-west of Kenilworth Castle is possibly represented today by Roundshill Lane from near its crossing of the Inchford Brook at SP 2623 7057 through SP 2877 6980 to about SP 286 706 where Dugdale shows the boundary bending sharply to the west and the present lane turns to the east.
In addition Dugdale shows 'The Chace' a park extending on the north from 'Blackwell' (a 'depopulated place') to the Hundred boundary on the south-west. It is separated from 'The Olde Parke' by the Inchford brook and borders Kenilworth Great Pool. The 'Queenes Park' adjoins the Chace on the north-west and a smaller park lies north of Blackwell and west of Rudfen. (2)

The 'Queenes Park' of Authority 2 is probably represented today by Chase Wood (SP 257 727) where there are remains of a pale to the north and east. There are no remains of the small park shown by Dugdale to the immediate north-east of the Queens Park. From SP 2617 7066 - SP 2759 6951 a strong bank seems likely to be the remains of the 'Olde Parke', and from SP 2624 7237 - SP 2608 7192 a single ditch represents the western boundary of 'The Chace'. Extant portions of pale surveyed at 1:2500. (3)

Parts of the park lie within an area designated a Registered Park and Garden.
The location of parks and gardens associated with Kenilworth Castle. The site of the two parks associated with the castle are today in agricultural use. The park and mere are mentioned in confirmation charters of around 1125. The Old or Great Park, containing some 740 acres (circa 308 hectares) in 1581 was stocked with 'deer and wild beasts' and lay to the south of the Mere (a defensive and ornamental lake) and to the north of Rouncil Lane; it existed by the 11th century and was disparked in the mid 17th century.
The Chase, which included areas known as Queen's Park and King's Wood, lay to the west of the Mere and Pleasance (Henry V's manor house); its pale remains visible circa 500 metres west of the site of the Pleasance. Of 12th century origin, the Chase was considerably extended in 1302 and again by the Earl of Leicester in about 1570 when it was heavily wooded and well stocked with red deer and other game. This 16th century extension was prior to Elizabeth I's visit in 1575 and the hunting formed the main attraction for the queen during her stay. The Chase was also disparked in the 17th century.
Today Kenilworth Castle is situated within a circa 120 hectare site. To the north the boundary is formed by Purlieu Lane which was formed or adapted from an existing route by the Earl of Leicester to provide access to the Chase. The boundary circa 300 metres south of the Castle is marked by a ditch and hedge planted on a mound; this represents the northern pale of the medieval park which lay to the south of the Great Mere. (4)

A new guidebook details the park and gardens, particularly during Elizabeth I's visit in 1575. (5)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : V.C.H. Warw., 2, 1908, 290.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ants. of Warw. 1656. (Map of Knightlow Hundred) (W.Dugdale)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHS 11-APR-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Kenilworth Castle (English Heritage Guidebooks)
Source details :
Page(s) : 31-35
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Register of Parks and Gardens Legacy No.
External Cross Reference Number : GD1472
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 6482
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 3226
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 3227
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 3228
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 27 SE 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 333875
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 333827
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 1106832
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 333868
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SP 27 SE 17
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-04-11
End Date : 1968-04-11