HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Water Newton Roman Fort

Hob Uid: 364454
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Huntingdonshire
Water Newton
Grid Ref : TL1162097240
Summary : The site of the Roman fort at Water Newton. The multiple ditched Roman fort at Water Newton was first seen by Crawford in 1930 who stated that it had four parallel ditches on the north side. It is described on the basis of an aerial photograph which shows the outline of a large Roman camp, outside which are traces of temporary camps 'A' and 'B'. It would seem that 'A' and 'B' quite likely belong to the period circa 45-47 AD, while 'C' may be of the latter date, but it would have been abandoned during the 50s AD. The fort covered an area of about 5 acres (2 hectares) and probably housed an auxiliary unit. The circuit was defended by a third, outer, ditch at the south west corner. Seen from the air, the clearest gateway is in the western side, but the fort presumably faced east and was linked to Ermine Street. Industrial activity from the second century onward disturbed the eastern part of the site.
More information : (TL 11629724) Roman Fort (R) (Site of) (1)

The multiple ditched Roman fort at Water Newton was first seen by Crawford in 1930 who stated that it had 4 parallel ditches on the N side. It is described on the basis of an AP by Major Allen which shows the outline of a large Roman camp, outside which are traces of 2 temporary camps 'A' and 'B' (see plan).

It would seem that 'A' and 'B' quite likely belong to the period c 45-47 AD, while 'C' may be of the latter date, but it would have been abandoned during the fifties. (Not yet excavated) (2)

Cropmarks of a Roman fort within which the side gutters of a road to the E and W gates can be seen. (3)

There are no surface remains of this Fort. A few sherds of RB pottery were found at TL 1160 9730. (4)

The fort covered an area of about 5 acres (2ha) and probably housed an auxiliary unit. The circuit was defended by a third, outer, ditch at the south west corner. Seen from the air, the clearest gateway is in the western side, but the fort presumably faced east and was linked to Ermine Street (RR 2b,c) by a feeder road. Industrial activity from the second century onward disturbed the eastern part of the site.

New information was provided by the air photographs of Mr S G Upex in 1972.

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Antiquity 13 1939 178-90 (C F C Hawkes) Illus.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : AP (K Jopp J43/7)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JB 04-NOV-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Arch J 131 1974 142 plan (J P Wild)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CB 130
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 19 NW 60
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 19 NW 60
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-11-04
End Date : 1970-11-04