HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hospital Of Saint John The Baptist

Hob Uid: 404876
Location :
Greater London Authority
City of Westminster
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3064080740
Summary : The Savoy Hospital, built in 1505 and dissolved in 1702. In 1505 Henry VII ordered that the old buildings of the Savoy Palace, largely destroyed in the Peasant's Revolt of 1381, be pulled down, and a hospital for the poor built on the site. Dormitories were built in the shape of a church in 1510-5. There were three chapels, including te Savoy Chapel. The main gate was at the west end. It was suppressed in 1553, but reopened in 1556. There is a litany of misuse in the 16th and 17th centuries. After 1661 French protestants were given the use of the Little Chapel, and a Quaker meeting house was established. A fire destroyed the west end of the precinct in 1670. The Little Chapel was rebuilt by Wren in 1685. A Jesuit school was established for 400 boys in 1687 but closed in 1688. German Lutherans were granted the Sister's houses as a church in 1695 and a schoolhouse built for them.In 1695 a military prison was built here by Wren, and in 1702 th hospital was finally abolished. The French protestants departed for Soho in 1730. All of the buildings other than the Savoy Chapel were demolished in 1816-20 to make way for the northern approach to Waterloo Bridge.
More information : [Name Centred TQ 30648074] SITE OF HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST [AT] (1)

By the 17th century the buildings were in use as dwellings, and places of worship for foreign protestant congregations. In 1679 the hospital dormitory was converted to barracks, possibly supervised by Wren who also designed the French Protestant chapel in 1686. Between the barracks and the river was a building used in the late 17th century as a German Lutheran church. The Hospital was dissolved in 1702.

For the Savoy chapel, which was also part of the original complex see TQ38SW347. (2)

Historical notes. (3)

Description and plan. Hospital designed on a cruciform plan unique in this country and based on Santa Croce in Florence. More of a hostel than a hospital with chapels, a dining room and dormitories. Fronting the river was a long range which probably incorporated earlier masonry from the house of John of Gaunt. (4)

Additional References. (5,6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1/1056 1916
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 5 : 1660-1782
Source details :
Page(s) : 207-13
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : W Bray
Page(s) : 146-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 19, 1821
Source Number : 4
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 3 : 1485-1660 (part 1)
Source details :
Page(s) : 196-206
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 373
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The London encyclopeadia
Source details :
Page(s) : 772-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1510-1540
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1510
Monument Type : Hospital, Chapel, Hostel
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1540-1702
Monument End Date : 1702
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Hospital, Chapel, Hostel
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 350
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 404875
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, QUEEN'S CHAPEL OF THE SAVOY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, WELLINGTON HOUSE, 125 STRAND
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2012-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, IET BUILDING, 2 SAVOY PLACE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2013-01-01
End Date : 2014-12-31