HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Christs Hospital

Hob Uid: 405006
Location :
Greater London Authority
City and County of the City of London
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3194081430
Summary : Christ's Hospital was founded in 1547 reusing the buildings of the Greyfriars. The former church became parochial. Much of the hospital was severely damaged in the Great Fire. The Great Hall, formerly the refectory, was rebuilt in 1680, and the Eastern range, or dormitory, in 1705. The Whittington Library in the North range appears to have survived the Great Fire, but was demolished in 1827. Wren built the Latin School over the South cloister walk in 1682. This was the sole remaining fragment of the Mediaeval Greyfriars until it was demolished in 1902, when the hospital moved to Surrey, and the General Post Office was built over most of the site. Wren rebuilt the quire as Christ Church in 1687-1704. Accounts at the time make it clear that the Mediaeval church was removed to foundation level. The church was destroyed in the Blitz in 1941. A keyhole excavation in 1976 located the South side of the quire.
More information : 1.[Name centred TQ31948143]. CHRIST'S HOSPITAL [GT] (Site of)

Christ’s Hospital was founded in 1547 reusing the buildings of the Greyfriars. The former church became parochial. Much of the hospital was severely damaged in the Great Fire. The Great Hall, formerly the refectory, was rebuilt in 1680, and the Eastern range, or dormitory, in 1705. The Whittington Library in the North range appears to have survived the Great Fire, but was demolished in 1827. Wren built the Latin School over the South cloister walk in 1682. This was the sole remaining fragment of the Mediaeval Greyfriars until it was demolished in 1902, when the hospital moved to Surrey, and the General Post Office was built over most of the site. Wren rebuilt the quire as Christ Church in 1687-1704. Accounts at the time make it clear that the Mediaeval church was removed to foundation level. The church was destroyed in the Blitz in 1941. A keyhole excavation in 1976 located the South side of the quire. (2-3)

Christ's Hospital school opened in 1552 when Edward VI granted the City of London the Grey Friars' buildings on Newgate Street as a school and foundling hospital. It was re-built after the Great Fire of London with Sir Christopher Wren as consulting architect. The writing school was added in 1696 to designs by Nicholas Hawksmoor. In 1902 the building was demolished. The school is now located at Horsham, Sussex. (3, 4)

The National Grid Reference for the building is: TQ31948143 (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1/1250 1953
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The London encyclopeadia
Source details :
Page(s) : 155
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Franciscan architecture in England
Source details :
Page(s) : 176-204
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : England's Schools. History, architecture and adaptation
Source details :
Page(s) : 5
Figs. : 5
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:1250, 2008
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1547-1666
Monument End Date : 1666
Monument Start Date : 1547
Monument Type : Hospital, Parish Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1552
Monument End Date : 1552
Monument Start Date : 1552
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1680
Monument End Date : 1680
Monument Start Date : 1680
Monument Type : Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1682
Monument End Date : 1682
Monument Start Date : 1682
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt between 1687 and 1704
Monument End Date : 1704
Monument Start Date : 1687
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Added 1696
Monument End Date : 1696
Monument Start Date : 1696
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : Demolished 1902
Monument End Date : 1902
Monument Start Date : 1902
Monument Type : Hospital, School
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Destroyed in World War II
Monument End Date : 1941
Monument Start Date : 1941
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : BB008431
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 482
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 405004
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, CHRISTCHURCH, NEWGATE STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, GPO SITE, NEWGATE STREET (CENTRAL AREA)
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1979-01-01
End Date : 1979-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, WEST YARD OF KING EDWARD BUILDINGS, NEWGATE STREET
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1992-01-01
End Date : 1992-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, KING EDWARD BUILDINGS, GILTSPUR STREET, 104-117 NEWGATE STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: DISABILITY IN TIME AND PLACE
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31