HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

London Wall

Hob Uid: 405081
Location :
Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3361280756
Summary : London Wall, as it is known, comprises remains of a stretch of the Roman wall which once formed part of the eastern defences of Roman Londinium. The wall defined the shape and size of London for over a millennium. Built in around AD 200, this is the best preserved stretch of the wall, although the upper part is medieval rebuilding. It is located on the east side of Trinity Place. The clearance of modern ruins, down to basement level, uncovered the Roman wall with its courses of bonding tiles. At one point a considerable amount of the internal Roman face has survived, consisting of six courses of squared ragstone above a triple bonding-course of tiles; then comes a double bonding-course, above which are five more courses of squared ragstone. An engraving of 1852 shows the external face, with plinth, several courses of squared ragstone and the bonding-course of brick. The overall length of wall displayed (including the medieval rebuilding) is about 38 metres, up to a height of nearly 11 metres. The lower, Roman, part of the wall had an inner rampart and external ditch. The foundations of a Roman turret have been identified in this section, although these are no longer visible. The turret probably contained a staircase providing access to a sentry walk. The height of the Roman wall was approximately 6.4 metres. During the medieval period the wall was repaired and raised further in height. From the 17th century it fell into disuse and parts were demolished. However this section was preserved by being incorporated into later buildings. This accounts for the lack of facing on the south of the outer wall face. An interpretation panel marks the findspot of the famous inscription to Classicianus, Procurator after the Boudiccan revolt, circa 65 AD. The wall is in the care of English Heritage.
More information : (TQ 33618075)
RW3, MW6 Trinity Place, S.
An impressive stretch of the city wall can be seen here, but the upper part is mediaeval rebuilding. The clearance of the modern ruins south of Trinity Place down to basement level has revealed, however, a fine piece of the Roman wall with its courses of bonding tiles. (See Pl. 39.)
At one point a considerable amount of the internal Roman face has survived, consisting of six courses of squared ragstone above a triple bonding-course of tiles; then comes a double bonding-course, above which are five more courses of squared ragstone.An engraving of 1852 shows the external face, with plinth, four courses of squared ragstone, a triple bonding-course of brick, six courses of ragstone, a double bonding-course, five courses of ragstone, a second double bonding-course and seven courses of ragstone.
(See TQ 38 SW 830 : Roman City Wall) (1-2)

This is the best-preserved remnant of the Roman wall which once formed part of the eastern defences of Roman Londinium. Built in around AD 200, the wall defined the shape and size of London for over a millennium. (3, 5)

The overall length of wall displayed (including the medieval rebuilding) is about 38 metres, up to a height of nearly 11 metres. The lower, Roman, part of the wall had an inner rampart and external ditch. The foundations of a Roman turret have been identified in this section, although these are no longer visible. The turret probably contained a staircase providing access to a sentry walk. The height of the Roman wall was approximately 6.4 metres. During the medieval period the wall was repaired and raised further in height. From the 17th century it fell into disuse and parts were demolished. However this section was preserved by being incorporated into later buildings. This accounts for the lack of facing on the south of the outer wall face. An interpretation panel marks the findspot of the famous inscription to Classicianus, Procurator after the Boudiccan revolt, circa 65 AD. (4)

The site is in the care of English Heritage. (5)

A brief history and description. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in London. Vol. III: Roman London
Source details :
Page(s) : 83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1928
Source Number : 2
Source : The Roman city of London
Source details :
Page(s) : 300
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : English Heritage Members' and Visitors' handbook 2008/9
Source details :
Page(s) : 40
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 22-Mar-95
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Link to Visitor Information on the English Heritage website [Accessed 23-SEP-2008] http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.12796
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Heritage Unlocked: London and the South East
Source details :
Page(s) : Dec-14
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Built in about AD 200
Monument End Date : 200
Monument Start Date : 200
Monument Type : Town Wall, Turret, Rampart, Ditch
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : repaired and raised Medieval period
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Town Wall
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : From C17th disused and partly demolished
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1601
Monument Type : Town Wall
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LO 14
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 206295
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05964
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : EH Property Number
External Cross Reference Number : 108
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 558
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 405276
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 405047
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 405238
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :