HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Uphall Camp

Hob Uid: 408130
Location :
Greater London Authority
Redbridge
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ4380085000
Summary : Site of an Iron Age hillfort, Roman settlement and 16th century beacon mound, now covered by modern buildings. Excavation uncovered evidence for late Bronze Age or early Iron Age occupation, the palisaded entrance of the hillfort and Roman huts.
More information : Camp [ G.S.] (Remains and site of) (1)

Camp [G.S.]

Lavender Mount [Keep] [G.S.] [TQ 43658517]
Plan photograph see AO/59/10/4 & 5 (2)

".... Uphall .... a very remarkable ancient entrenchment : its form is not regular, but tending to a square; the circumference is 1792 yards ... inclosing an area of 48 acres ..... On the north, east and south sides it is single trenched : on the north and east sides the ground is dry and level ... and the trench from frequent ploughing almost filled up : on the south side is a deep morass : on the west side, which runs parallel with the river Roding .... is a double trench and bank : at the north west corner was an outlet to a very fine spring of water, which was guarded by an inner work, and a high keep or mound of earth. (3)

Uphall Camp is situated on the left bank of the River Roding on ground which is naturally some 20' above the level of the river. It contained an area of over 48 acres. The best preserved portion is at the N.W. corner where the Lavender Mound and C.80 yards of the rampart survive under grass. The rampart, a single bank, remains around the N.E. quadrant (at its greate some 4' above the interior and 12' above the level outside) and on the south its line can be traced as a step in the ground level 3-5 1/2' high. In digging the foundations of Messrs. Howard's new factories a considerable amount of Roman pottery was found, including the larger portion of a decorated Samian bowl. (4)

Similar information. (5-6)

['A' - area centred TQ43758512 ] Roman pottery found during the building of Messrs. Howard's factories in 1909. It includes most of form 37 Samian bowl ; 2nd cent. Photographs at Colchester Museum. (7)

All that is left now is the mound and fragment of rampart at the N.W. corner. It has been thought to be a British settlement subsequently occupied during the Roman period, though others regard it as of Danish origin. (8)

The date of this earthwork is doubtful, but it does not appear to be pre-Roman. Lavender Mount is am irregular mound 21' high & 85' in diameter at the base. Roman pottery has been found in the camp, and urns containing burnt human bones are said to have come from here. Plan AO/59/54/7. (9)

Add refs. (10-12)

"The earthwork is overgrown with trees. The height above ground level -- (6.5m.) -- is assessed from present ground level The whole area has been 'made up' considerably."

[See Illustration Card for plan.] (13)

The site is now covered by buildings. (14)

In 1960 a watch was kept by Kenneth Marshall during destruction by building operations of the Lavender Mount and the northwest corner of Uphall Camp. The former proved to be no earlier than the 16th century and may have been a beacon mound erected upon the apparent position of the palisaded entrance to the camp. The rampart yielded pottery assigned by Marshall to Iron Age B of the 1st or 2nd century BC, but a re-assessment of the sherds in the Passmore Edwards Museum, Stratford, suggests that they are rather
earlier than this and that this part of the defences can be placed in the Early or Middle Pre-Roman Iron Age. In January 1979 observation of a building trench cut in the bank next to St Luke's Vicarage showed that 0.5m of garden loam had been deposited against it. The present condition of Uphall Camp was examined by Peter Higgins. A remnant of the north bank survives at the south side of Baxter Road. The western slope of the camp is still clear some 20 ft above the River Roding and its turn to the north is visible. (15-16)

TQ 43808500 (Centred at) Iron Age Camp and Roman Occupation at Uphall Camp, Ilford.
The site has been discussed in relation to other hillforts and oppida in Essex. (17-18)

Excavation by P. Greenwood of Passmore Edwards Museum in advance of the redevelopment of the interior revealed occupation of Late Bronze/early Iron Age as well as pits, ditches and possible hut gullies of Roman date. (19-20)

3 Potin Coins recovered from excavations. (21)

Listed as a possible motte and bailey. (22)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1/2500 1877
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : O S 1/2500 1894-6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : "History of Essex", Vol.I, 1768, pp.1-2. (P. Morant)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : (A. Way)
Page(s) : 94
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 21 - 1864
Source Number : 12
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : (I.C. Gould).
Page(s) : 30
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Jul-01
Source Number : 13
Source : Large Scale / Small Scale Map Revisers Comment
Source details : L.S. 25" (S.B.Hisamans, 28/4/60)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : Large Scale / Small Scale Map Revisers Comment
Source details : LS Rev. A.B.Sutton 10 10 74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 15
Source : Essex archaeology and history : transactions of Essex Archaeological Society
Source details : (P Wilkinson)
Page(s) : 220-1, 258
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Oct-78
Source Number : 15b
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Plan of Uphall Camp c.1735 by John Noble Scale 44 faths to 1ins (c.1:3200) In Essex Record Office No T/P 93
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 16
Source : A history of the county of Essex, volume 5
Source details : (J E Oxley)
Page(s) : 251-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : May-66
Source Number : 17
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Buckley D 1980 Archaeol. in Essex 47
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 18
Source : Essex archaeology and history : transactions of Essex Archaeological Society
Source details : (M R Eddy)
Page(s) : 36-53
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 15 - 1983
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : "Environs of London", Vol.4, 1796, pp.57-8. (D. Lysons).
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 19
Source : The London archaeologist
Source details :
Page(s) : 390
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4 - 14 - 1984
Source Number : 20
Source : Essex archaeology and history : transactions of Essex Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 128
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 16 - 1984-5
Source Number : 21
Source : University of London, Institute of Archaeology annual report
Source details : (C Haselgrove)
Page(s) : 27
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 26 - 1989
Source Number : 22
Source : Rescue news : the newspaper of RESCUE, the British Archaeological Trust
Source details :
Page(s) : 2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 38 - 1985/6
Source Number : 23
Source : British Archaeological Report (BAR) British series
Source details :
Page(s) : 134
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 126
Source Number : 24
Source : The London archaeologist
Source details :
Page(s) : 207-216
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 09-Aug
Source Number : 3a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : MS History of Barking (S. Lethieullier). [This MS was destroyed in a fire 1856; see Essex Naturalist, Vol.7, 1893, p.133 fn.]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Essex archaeology and history : transactions of Essex Archaeological Society
Source details : (W. Crouch).
Page(s) : 408-12, 19-25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 9 and 10
Source Number : 5
Source : The Essex naturalist : journal of the Essex Field Club
Source details : (W. Crouch)
Page(s) : 131-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7 - 1873
Source Number : 6
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : (W. Crouch)
Page(s) : 291-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4 - 1898
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : V.C.H., Essex, MSS.,p.24a. (M.R. Hull).
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Essex, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 281-2, 313
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1903
Source Number : 9
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Essex. Volume II: [central and south-west]
Source details :
Page(s) : XXVIII,97, 99
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1921

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Late Bronze Age
Display Date : Late Bronze Age
Monument End Date : -700
Monument Start Date : -1200
Monument Type : Settlement
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Early Iron Age
Display Date : Early Iron Age
Monument End Date : -300
Monument Start Date : -800
Monument Type : Univallate Hillfort
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Late Iron Age
Display Date : Late Iron Age
Monument End Date : 43
Monument Start Date : -100
Monument Type : Findspot
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Settlement, Ditch, Pit, Gully, Hut
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Find
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1600
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Beacon
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Period : Late Iron Age
Component Monument Type : Findspot
Object Type : COIN
Object Material :
Period : Roman
Component Monument Type : Settlement, Ditch, Pit, Gully, Hut
Object Type : VESSEL, CREMATION
Object Material : Pottery

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 48 NW 34
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, LAVENDER MOUNT, HOWARD'S CHEMICAL WORKS, ILFORD
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1960-01-01
End Date : 1960-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, UPHALL CAMP, ILFORD
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1983-01-01
End Date : 1984-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, UPHALL CAMP, ILFORD
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1987-01-01
End Date : 1988-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, UPHALL CAMP, UPHALL ROAD, ILFORD
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1989-01-01
End Date : 1989-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, UPHALL CAMP, UPHALL ROAD, ILFORD
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1989-01-01
End Date : 1989-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ILFORD LANE/VICTORIA ROAD/ROMAN ROAD, BARKING
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31