HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Old Palace

Hob Uid: 408943
Location :
East Sussex
Wealden
Mayfield and Five Ashes
Grid Ref : TQ5870027100
Summary : Archbishops Palace constructed c. 1350 by Archbishop Islip. Restored and converted into a convent school in 1863.
More information : [TQ 587 271] R.C. Convent [T.I.] and remains of
Archbishop's Palace [G.T.] (1)

The remains of the 14th cent. Palace of the Archbishops of
Canterbury, consisting of the old hall (re-roofed with new windows inserted), south porch, lower portion of the tower and
the well-house, are now incorporated in the Convent of the Holy
Child Jesus. (2)

The above description is correct. The Great Hall, now the
Chapel, was built by Archbishop Islip c1350, and was restored
by Pugin in 1863 (a). It, together with the adjoining south
porch and tower, and the well-house, is in excellent condition.(3)

5208 MAYFIELD HIGH STREET
(north side)

The Old Palace (The
Convent of the Holy
Child Jesus, St Leonard's
Mayfield School)

TQ 5827 39/503 26.11.53

2.
Remains of a medieval palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury
converted into a school by E W Pugin in 1863-6. Some C13 work.
But the main portion is the C14 hall, now the school chapel.
Stone. Tiled roof. Three tall pointed windows of 2 tiers of
trefoil-headed lights with triangles above, each trefoil-shaped.
Buttresses flanking the windows. Vaulted entrance to south-west.
Adjoining this is a C14 tower and C15 well-house. Additions
of 1863-6 by E W Pugin to north-east. Two storeys and attic.
Five windows. Three gabled dormers. Stone. Tiled roof. Casement
windows with stone mullions and transoms. Two storeyed gabled
porch. Gable at north end. Further to the north-east are
additions of 1896 in red brick by P P Pugin.

TQ 5827 39/503A 26.11.53 The Gatehouse of the
Old Palace (The Convent
of the Holy Child Jesus,
St Leonard's Mayfield
School)

II GV

2.
C15 arch of the gateway of the palace of the Archbishops of
Canterbury incorporated in a new building added by E W Pugin in
1863-6. Ashlar. Tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions.
Centre gateway of three storeys and three windows with tall
pointed carriage archway. Gabled projection on each side, the west
one L-shaped and two storeys and two windows, the east one of
one storey and two school buildings. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" (prov.) 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : M.H.L.G. (2441/11/A), April, 1949), p.61
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 28-OCT-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Sister Mary Lorenzo, Convent of the Holy Child Jesus, Mayfield
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR)Dist of Wealdon, (former RD of Uckfield) E Susx, Dec 1982, 223
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1350
Monument Type : Archbishops Palace
Evidence : Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Archbishops Palace, Convent School
Evidence : Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 52 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 52 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-10-28
End Date : 1969-10-28
Associated Activities : Primary, THE OLD PALACE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, MAINTENANCE YARD, THE OLD PALACE
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31