HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lullingstone Castle

Hob Uid: 410359
Location :
Kent
Sevenoaks
Eynsford
Grid Ref : TQ5301964374
Summary : Built between 1543 and 1580, remodelled in the 18th century and further altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. Renamed Lullingstone Castle in the 18th century, the house is three storeyed and brick-built with a tiled roof. Some 16th century work is visible in the north and east fronts. The Tudor house was surrounded by a moat and was approached via two gatehouses. The inner gatehouse was demolished in the mid 18th century, but the outer gatehouse survives (TQ 56 SW 58). A documentary source of the 1690s depicts an embattled wall around the moat, which has since been filled in.
More information : [TQ 5301 6437] Lullingstone Castle on site of [NAT] Lullingtstone Hall [NR] (1)

Lullingstone House, as it was originally called, was first built
between 1543 and 1580. Portions survive on the N and E fronts, as well as in the Gatehouse (TQ 56 SW 58), but it was altered and re-cast in the C18th by Percyvall Hart (d 1738) and Sir John Dixon Dyke (d 1810).First called Lullingstone Castle in mid C18th. House of 3 storeys, of red brick with tiled roof. Centre portion of principal, W front, is Late C17th or early C18th. In front of this is a ground floor addition of the C19th with early C18th 3 storey projecting blocks to either side, L-shaped in plan. To the return S front of the S block, a2 storey bay was added in the C19th. The S front E of this dates from C18th, 2 storeys, red brick and flints early C19th addition in SE corner. (2)

Lullingstone Castle, a private residence, as described above and in good condition. See GPs AO/64/126/4-6. (3)

Lullingstone Castle, Lullingstone Lane, Lullingstone. Grade II*. Lullingstone House, as it was originally called, was first built by
Sir Percyvall Hart (1496-1580) between 1543 and 1580. Portions of the house survive on the N and E fronts as well as in the Gatehouse. It was altered and later called Lullingstone Castle in the mid C18. (For full description see list).

Moll Cob, Lullingstone Lane, Lullingstone. Grade II. Possibly originally a Dower House to Lullingstone Castle. C18. (For full description see list).

Ruins of Bath House at Lullingstone Castle, Lullingstone Lane. Grade II. C18. Rectangular brick bath about 12 feet long by 8 feet wide surrounded by brick and flint oval-shaped wall now ruined but rising to a height of about 8 feet. This is situated on the banks of the River Darenth which provided the water. (4)

Lullingstone Castle listed as a moated site, class 3. (5)

Additional bibliography. (6)

Additional bibliographic source (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 6" 1936-46
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG Schedule Dartford HLG 3541 1952
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 02-OCT-64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dist of Sevenoaks Kent Oct 1982 24-26
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval moated sites
Source details :
Page(s) : 30
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.17
Source Number : 6
Source : Cantium : a magazine of Kent local history
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5 (2) 1973
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval moated sites
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.17
Source Number : 8
Source : The Buildings of England
Source details : West Kent and the Weald
Page(s) : 387-388
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1543-1580
Monument End Date : 1580
Monument Start Date : 1543
Monument Type : House, Moat, Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1690s
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1690
Monument Type : House, Gatehouse, Wall, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished mid C18
Monument End Date : 1766
Monument Start Date : 1733
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered C20
Monument End Date : 1999
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 411979
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 56 SW 18
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 410510
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 410511
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1402885
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 410467
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 56 SW 18
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-10-02
End Date : 1964-10-02
Associated Activities : Primary, LULLINGSTONE CASTLE GATEHOUSE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2016-01-01
End Date : 2016-12-31