HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Court Lodge

Hob Uid: 413428
Location :
Kent
Tonbridge and Malling
Trottiscliffe
Grid Ref : TQ6461060544
Summary : Medieval bishops palace rebuilt in 1185 and 1319. Converted into a private residence during the 17th century, has 18th and 19th century alterations. 18th century farmstead with 19th century alterations. The two storey 18th century farmhouse is built of red brick, the front elevation cement rendered. Hipped plain tiled roof with central brick stack off-ridge to rear and hipped dormer to left.
More information : [TQ 64606052] Court Lodge (NAT) Remains of a Palace (NR)
(1)

Gundulf, Bp. of Rochester, was allotted the manor of Trottescliffe
soon after his election in 1077. An episcopal palace was erected
but by 1185 the buildings were so ruinous that they had to be
rebuilt. It was again improved by Hamo De Heth, Bp. 1319-52, who
built a kitchen two dining-rooms and outhouses and surrounded the
house with walls.

Some years after the Reformation the palace was leased out and is
held by the Whitaker family. (2)

Add. ref. (3)
Add. ref. to Authy. 2. In 1918 there was nothing left of
the palace except the indication of its former size in the very high
rooms of the farmhouse. A coating of cement had "utterly destroyed
its character". The house is approached by an apparently 17th c.
brick gateway and three of the original fishponds survive. Many old
outhouses had been recently demolished. (4)

'Court Lodge' (name confirmed by the owner) is a brick two-storey
private residence of the 17c. The house has been refaced on the
south side and plastered over. The lower courses of the W. wall are
of flint and ironstone evidently a fragment of the former palace. An
outbuilding at the rear of the house contains a fragment of flint
walling in the west side with a small original square-headed stone
window apparently in situ. The gateway, comprising two large square
pillars of ornamental brick, each surmounted by a stone ball finial,
and the S and E garden walls are contemporary with the present house.

GP/AO/59/187/2 from South. An Antiquity Model Survey has been done.

Three ponds to the south of Court Lodge (shown by Authority 1, and
certainly those referred to by Authority 4 as Fishponds) are now
filled in with waste, the northernmost two are grassed over, the
southern one is boggy. They bear in shape little resemblance to
artificially constructed fishponds. (5)

No change. (6)

TQ 66 SW TROTTISCLIFFE C.P. CHURCH ROAD 2/24 (north side)
1.8.52 Court Lodge GV II

House. C18 with C19 alterations. Red brick, the front elevation
cement rendered. Hipped plain tiled roof with central brick stack
off-ridge to rear and hipped dormer to left. 2 storeys; 4 window
first-floor, C18 glazing bar sashes with open boxes. 2 window
ground-floor, both C19 glazing bar sashes, one single, one
tripartite. Central panelled door in architrave moulded surround.

TQ 66 SW TROTTISCLIFFE C.P. CHURCH ROAD 2/28 (north side) 1.8.52
Front boundary wall to Court Lodge GV II

Wall. C18. Red and blue brick on random stone plinth. 4 feet high.
Central pair of rusticated brick piers. Central gate with spearhead
rails the piers were originally surmounted by stone globes,
temporarily removed at time of re-survey. (7)

Court Lodge, 18th century, with big rusticated brick
gatepiers. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1936
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Kent 1782 ff (Hasted)
Page(s) : 30,38,229
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : English Episcopal Palaces: Prov of Canterbury 1910 8 (ed R.S Rait)
Page(s) : 8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : 1920 ff (P Norman)
Page(s) : 175
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 77
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 18-JUN-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 FGA 20-OCT-64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dist of Tonbridge & Malling Kent 1984 18
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : West Kent and the Weald
Source details :
Page(s) : 575
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Fishpond, Bishops Palace
Evidence : Earthwork, Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18th alterations
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19th alterations
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 96216
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 427140
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 66 SW 14
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1093530
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1093528
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 66 SW 14
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-06-18
End Date : 1959-06-18
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 66 SW 14
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-10-20
End Date : 1964-10-20
Associated Activities : Primary, KENT FARMSTEAD SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1992-12-31