HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Milton Chantry

Hob Uid: 413595
Location :
Kent
Gravesham
Gravesend
Grid Ref : TQ6525274335
Summary : The Chantry chapel, all that remains of the leper hospital of Milton which was founded by 1155, and refounded by Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke in 1321. It became a chantry in 1524. The chantry is a long, rectangular, stone-walled building which still retains its original 14th century arch-braced roof. A timber-framed building runs out at right angles from the south wall of the chantry. This was the priests' house which contains part of an aisled hall along with a queen post roof. By 1540, following dissolution, the building had come into domestic use, and in the late 17th century it was used as a tavern. In 1780 the building was incorporated into the property of the New Tavern Fort as part of the barracks. Whilst in use as a barracks, both the chantry and priests' house were encased in brick during the 19th century. The chantry was sold to Gravesend Council by the War Department in 1930, and during the Second World War the basement was prepared as a gas decontamination centre in anticipation of gas warefare. The property is in the care of English Heritage.
More information : [TQ 6525 7433] CHANTRY [G.T.] (Rems. of) (1)

The Leper Hospital of St. Mary the Virgin, Milton by Gravesend, was founded c1155 and refounded 1321. In 1524 it passed to the King and was made into a chantry for two chaplains.
Scheduled. (2-5)

This has been partially restored. The only visible remains are the restored east end consisting of a flint and rubble wall containing a large restored window and a smaller original mullioned window. The original flint and rubble core and a number of square headed mullioned windows, are visible at certain points along the north wall which is, for the most part, faced inside and out with the modern brick.The south and west wall are completely hidden by modern brick facing, both inside and out. Now in use as Gravesend Museum. General condition good.
See G.P./51/46/8. (6)

Milton Chantry. Grade II*. The property of Gravesend Corporation. The Chantry chapel is all that remains of the leper hospital of Milton which was founded by Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, about 1322. This was converted into a dwelling at the Reformation and became a public house called the New Tavern in the 18th century. It was restored in 1852 and 1862 and again recently. (7)

Additional bibliography. (8-10)

Revised scheduling. (11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1932
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 291
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 15-Jun-95
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : L. & P.Henry VIII, 4, 1, 123.297
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Kent, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 221-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ancient Monuments in England and Wales 1961
Page(s) : 59
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 22/10/1964
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Gravesham 03/07/1975
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 742
Source Number : 8
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 377
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : West Kent and the Weald
Source details :
Page(s) : 303
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Ancient Monuments Board for England annual report
Source details :
Page(s) : 4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 18, 1971

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1524
Monument Start Date : 1155
Monument Type : Leper Hospital, Priests House, Hospital
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1524
Monument Type : Chantry Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1540
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Late C17
Monument End Date : 1700
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Public House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1780
Monument End Date : 1780
Monument Start Date : 1780
Monument Type : Barracks
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Encased in brick in C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Barracks
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : During World War II
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Decontamination Building
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 38
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 24358
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 356342
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : EH Property Number
External Cross Reference Number : 200
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Kent)
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 67 SE 1107
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 67 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 413720
Relationship type : Is referred to by

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 67 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-10-22
End Date : 1964-10-22