HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 417334

Hob Uid: 417334
Location :
East Sussex
Rother
Udimore
Grid Ref : TQ8636018900
Summary : Remains of a medieval moat, enclosing the church. The former manor house, Court Lodge, was carefully dismantled and re-erected in 1912 in Groombridge (TQ 53 NW 37). Licence to crenellate was granted in 1479.
More information : (Area TQ 8635 1891) Moat (twice) (1)

Remains of homestead moat (dry) enclosing church and Court Lodge. (2)

The old manor-house, Court Lodge, having been pulled down, was purchased in 1912 and re-erected at Groombridge, near Tunbridge Wells. Licence to crenellate was granted in 1479. (3)

Only two areas of the moat that once enclosed the church and the old Court Lodge now exist. The extant area north of the church has an average depth of 1-0m with a partly dry pond within its banks.

The existing area east and south of the old Court Lodge is under close scrub with an average depth of 1.0m. The former line of the moat has been overlaid by buildings and farmland. No trace exists of the original Court Lodge. (4)

Listed by Cathcart King. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Rec 6" (E C Curwen udtd)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Sussex: volume nine: the Rape of Hastings
Source details :
Page(s) : 172-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JRL 18-SEP-72
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 475
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licenced 1479
Monument End Date : 1479
Monument Start Date : 1479
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Demolished Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Demolished 1912
Monument End Date : 1912
Monument Start Date : 1912
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 81 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 897222
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 81 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-09-18
End Date : 1972-09-18