HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Haigh Hall

Hob Uid: 41877
Location :
Wigan
Haigh
Grid Ref : SD5974008520
Summary : Medieval manor house with additions carried out during the 16th and 17th century. It was demolished in 1820. The present house was constructed in 1827-40. Nearby was the site of 17th century Observatory, now demolished.
More information : Haigh Hall [T.I.] (1)

A hall of the manor of Haigh is known to have been in
existence on the present site soon after the Conquest, it was
"imported" in the middle of the 12th century. A portion of the Norman
House survived until the early 19th. cent., although considerable
additions were made to the house in the 16th & 17th cents.
On the top of the hill behind the house was the "Observatory"
(17th. cent). Outside the north Gate are the remains of the ancient
stocks.
c.1820 the house was demolished.
The present Hall was built between 1830 & 1849 on the same site
The "Observatory" remains, a tower which took the place of the 17th.
cent. structure and was restored in recent years. (2)

A Md.House (Site of). No trace of this house to be seen. The
present Haigh Hall, which according to T.C.2, occupies the site of
the original house, is a modern structure now used by the Wigan
Corporation as an Art Gallery. Situated at SD59740852
B. 17th. cent. Observatory (Site of). The site of this observatory
is now occupied by the Haigh Tower, a modern wooden tower of 4
storeys. No trace of the original building remains. Situated at
SD59860850.
C. Stocks (Remains of). Consists of 2 upright stones set 1.2m
apart. Each stone measures 1.0m in height by 0.3m by 0.2m thick with
shaped tops. On inside face of each stone is a slot into which
would be fixed the wooden or stone cross bars - no trace of these
are visible. Each slot is 0.7m long and 3" deep by 2 1/2" broad.
Situated at SD59730876. (3)

Located and surveyed on Field Document. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" provisional 1927-48
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : R2 FDC 09-JUL-52
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Wigan Examiner - Friday May 13th 1949
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2b
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume four
Source details :
Page(s) : 115-118
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JHO 11-AUG-52
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 JR 06-MAR-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 16th century additions
Monument End Date : 1599
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 16th century additions
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 17th century construction and additions
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Observatory, Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished in 1820
Monument End Date : 1820
Monument Start Date : 1820
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1827-40
Monument End Date : 1840
Monument Start Date : 1827
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 402637
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 111216
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 50 NE 16
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 41993
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1145831
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 50 NE 16
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1952-08-11
End Date : 1952-08-11
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 50 NE 16
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-03-06
End Date : 1959-03-06
Associated Activities : Primary, HAIGH CONSERVATORY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1993-12-31