HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Charing Palace

Hob Uid: 419413
Location :
Kent
Ashford
Charing
Grid Ref : TQ9541249439
Summary : An archbishops palace, associated buildings and precinct, set back from Charing High Street to the north of the parish church. Land on which to build a house or palace in Charing was given to Christchurch priory at Canterbury in AD 788 by Kenulph; the land remained under the control of the priory until 1545. The buildings forming the palace complex surround a quadrangle which is entered from the south through the original gateway. The barn to the east of the courtyard dates from the14th century, and was originally the Great Hall. The farmhouse was begun in the 13th century, but underwent alterations in the 16th and 18th centuries. It was originally part of the north range of the quadrangle, and includes part of the chapel in its north west corner. All that remains of the western side of the courtyard is an outhouse dating from the 14th century. Numbers 1 and 2, Palace Cottages form the south side of the quadrangle, along with the gatehouse. They all date from the 14th century and comprise the gatehouse and porter's lodge, also thought to have been built by John Stratford. Much of the precinct boundary wall is also still standing around the palace enclosure on the north, east and south sides, while on the west the original wall has been rebuilt more recently. The medieval wall stands to a height of between 1.5m and 2m in some places, and was built in flint and mortar. Within the paddocks inside the precinct boundary wall are a number of low earthworks which are associated with the palace buildings. Henry VIII acquired the palace through exchange with Cranmer in 1545. There is no evidence that he made any alterations to the buildings, and no subsequent monarch made any use of the manor house, but let it out to farm. In 1559 Archbishop Parker made an attempt to become the tenant and farmer of the estate, but he was outbid by Sir Richard Sackville, and the estate passed into private ownership.
More information : (TQ 9544 4942) Palace Farm Archiepiscopal Palace [NR] (remains of) [NAT] (1)

The Manor of Charing is mentioned as early as the C8th but no record remains as to the date of the first building. The hall was probably erected during the primacy of Robert Winchelsea (1294-1313), additions including the gatehouse range (see TQ 94 NE 17) were built in the early C14 and the private work of John Morton (1446-1500) the last Archbishop to be associated with Charing Palace. The palace and manor were conveyed to the Crown in 1545. See plan (AO:61:329:1). (2)

The plan and description of Auth 2 are confirmed, the buildings being in good condition generally and in use as a farm and its outbuildings.

GPs AO/61/185/6: Hall from NW
AO/61/185/7: C15/C16 additions to W of Gt Hall from S
AO/61/185/8: Main gateway in S wall from S.

In addition much of the stone precinct wall is still extant. For details etc see TQ 95 49. Note. The double line survey of the Palace on the 1936 Edn of the 25 inch purporting to portray extant original detail is in error. A comparison with Kipp's plan (Authority 2) shows the extent of this. (3)

Checked and correct - survey of 14.12.1961. (4)

Palace Farmhouse, Market Place, Charing. Grade I. C13 altered C16 and C18. The present farmhouse forms part of the N range of the former manor house of the Archbishops of Canterbury and includes part of the former chapel. The building is L-shaped. Three storeys, ground and 1stfloors stone rubble and flints, 2nd floor red brick, all 3 with long and short ashlar quoins. Hipped tiled roof. One early C16 window of 2 lights, with 4 centred heads and dripstone over. The other windows are C18 sash or casement windows of many panes. To the E is a further recessed wing of 2 storeys and one window wholly faced with brick with one window with 4-centred head. At the SW angle is a portion of ruined wall containing a pointed doorway. Date tablet of 1586 above window by SE angle. (For full description see list). (5)

Barn to SE of Palace Farmhouse (formerly listed as Barn of Palace Farm). Grade I. (See TQ 94 NE 31). (6)

Charing Palace remains of, scheduled. (7)

Additional bibliography. The palace was acquired by Henry VIII from Archbishop Cranmer by exchange, but there are no records of any works on it. (8,9)

Charing Palace and its immediate environs were recorded in detail by the RCHME in November and December 1996: this work included architectural, photographic and archaeological surveys (10-12).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : P K Kipps
Page(s) : 78-97
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 90, 1933
Source Number : 11
Source : Charing Palace/ ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Charing Palace/ pencil survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 17
Source : The royal palaces of Tudor England : architecture and court life
Source details :
Page(s) : 50, 89
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 CFW 14-DEC-61
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 CFW 14-DEC-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Ashford, 10-OCT-1980
Page(s) : 63-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1155
Source Number : 6
Source : North east and east Kent
Source details :
Page(s) : 269
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of ancient monuments in England: Volume 1, Northern England; Volume 2, Southern England; Volume 3, East Anglia and the Midlands
Source details :
Page(s) : 113
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 8
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : S E Rigold
Page(s) : 267
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 126, 1969
Source Number : 9
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 4 : 1485-1660 (Part 2)
Source details :
Page(s) : 63-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : RCHME CHARING PALACE SURVEY: November 1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Built from AD 788
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 788
Monument Type : Manor, Manor House, Archbishops Palace
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1293-1313
Monument End Date : 1313
Monument Start Date : 1293
Monument Type : Manor House, Archbishops Palace
Evidence : Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Change of use from 1545
Monument End Date : 1545
Monument Start Date : 1545
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 119
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 24347
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 96072
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 180769
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : BB96/03610
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : BB96/03347
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1011028
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 94 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 864008
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 419460
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 864008
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 419458
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1397493
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 94 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1961-12-14
End Date : 1961-12-14
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 94 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-12-14
End Date : 1963-12-14
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: CHARING PALACE SURVEY
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1996-11-01
End Date : 1996-12-01
Associated Activities : Primary, THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31