HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Palace Cottages

Hob Uid: 419458
Location :
Kent
Ashford
Charing
Grid Ref : TQ9530049420
Summary : The south side of the courtyard of the former manor house of the Archbishops of Canterbury which comprised the gatehouse and the porter's lodge. They were probably built by John Stratford, who was Archbishop from 1333-1348, and whose favourite residence is said to have been Charing. The south-east portion consists of the roofless remains of the gatehouse, comprising stone carriage and pedestrian archways with obtusely pointed heads. To the north-east of the gatehouse is a cottage of two storeys and three window bays with a half-hipped tiled roof. The ground floor windows of the cottage are set in the stone surrounds of mediaeval windows. Following the cottage is another ruined portion with a pointed stone archway flanked by buttresses and then another inhabited cottage of two storeys and attic with a steeply-pitched tiled roof.
More information : (TQ 9531 4943 sited from OS 1:2500, 1976) Palace Cottages (nos 1 and the remains of the gatehouse adjoining) (formerly listed as Palace Farm Cottages and remains of Gatehouse adjoining), Market Place, Charing. Grade I. C14. This was the S side of the courtyard of the former manor house of the Archbishops of Canterbury and comprised the gatehouse and the porter's lodge. (For full description see list). (1)

Brief mention of the gatehouse. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Ashford, 10-OCT-1980
Page(s) : 64-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1155
Source Number : 2
Source : North east and east Kent
Source details :
Page(s) : 264
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1333-48
Monument End Date : 1348
Monument Start Date : 1333
Monument Type : Gatehouse, Porters Lodge
Evidence : Extant Building, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 20th Century
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 94 NE 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 864008
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :