HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Throwley Priory

Hob Uid: 419654
Location :
Kent
Swale
Throwley
Grid Ref : TQ9936055830
Summary : Benedictine alien priory cell of St Bertin, St Omer, founded circa 1150 by Hugh de Chilham and William de Ipra. It was dissolved in 1414 and granted to Syon Abbey. There are no visible remains and the site is now occupied by Glebe Cottage.
More information : [TQ 9936 5583] Glebe Cottage on site of Priory Cell [NR]. (1)

An alien cell (Benedictine) is listed at Throwley. Founded c. 1150, dissolved c. 1414, for a prior and monks, probably only 2 to 3. (2) Until recently, parts of the old walls of the priory at Throwley could be seen near the rectory. (3)

The only remains of Throwley Priory are some foundations and two walls of flint, which support a building, standing behind the parsonage and garden. (4)

Glebe Cottage, 1893, occupies the site of the old rectory. No pre-19th century building material was found apart from a wide scatter of broken roof tile, probably from the rectory, a wall of which is visible on a crop mark on the lawn during dry weather. (5)

The alien priory of Throwley, a cell to the abbey of St. Bertin at St. Omer in France, was founded in the mid 12th century by Hugh de Chilhamand William de Ipra. It seems to have been small, for a prior and 2 or 3 monks at most, later a prior alone. There may have been no monks after 1385. In an extent taken in 1324 (a) the temporalities of the priory were valued at #5.5s.4d. and its churches at #83 yearly. The priory and its possessions came into the hands of Henry V by the Act of Dissolution passed in his reign. (6)(7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1960
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 90
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : A Saunter through Kent 21 1927 33-4 (C Iglesdon)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Kent 6 1798 457 (E Hasted)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 24-JUL-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Kent, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 239-40
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Carte Misc (Aug Off) 8 No 1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 93
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1414
Monument Start Date : 1150
Monument Type : Benedictine Alien Cell
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 95 NE 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TQ 95 NE 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-07-24
End Date : 1963-07-24