HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Upholland Priory

Hob Uid: 42035
Location :
Lancashire
West Lancashire
Up Holland
Grid Ref : SD5235005050
Summary : Ruins of a Benedictine Priory (1319-1536 AD), the last foundation of the order in the country, on the site of a chantry and collegiate chapel of 1307-10. Founded as a college of secular priests by Sir Robert de Holland circa 1307-10, it failed to live up to expectations. Sir Robert petitioned Walther, Bishop of Lichfield, to introduce Benedictine monks, and these were introduced in 1319. Dissolved 1536. The priory is thought to have occupied a large block of land to the South of the priory church and its extent is likely to have been defined by a permanent wall; further remains are likely to survive outside the Scheduled area. The ruins comprise the West wall of the dorter range on the East side of the cloister; the wall is circa 21m long with a row of 7 windows in the upper storey. Internally it is circa19m x 8m. L-shaped ruins of an unknown structure exist in Church Street, (seeSD 50 NW 21)
More information : Benedictine Priory. Secular College of Canons. (1)

(a) The Benedictine Priory of (Up) Holland, founded in 1319, replaced a College of Secular Canons founded 9 yrs. before...(b) In 1310 Sir. Robt. de Holland obtained a license to endow a college of 13 chaplains... (a) The house has little history, its endowment was small and the times were not propitious for further additions. It was dissolved in May 1536 & in 1545 the Priory was granted to John Holcroft. (c)

Little can be said of the remains of the monastic buildings. They were on the south of the Church, but did not, as it seems, join it except as regards the western range of the claustral buildings. Part of the western wall of this range is standing, it was of two stories with a row of narrow windows on the west side, (see SD50NW21). In 1546 a chamber of the west end of the church is mentioned, which may be that on the south face of the tower, the roof corbels of which still remain.(d) In May 1948 only two walls remained of the domestic buildings, but the church, having been reserved after the dissolution for the use of the inhabitants, retains much of the old fabric. (e) Upholland Priory was the last of the English Pre-reformation Benedictine foundations. [(f) Similar information to (e)] (2)

Priory [G.T.] [Centre of Lancs SD. 52330504] (3)

Priory [G.T.] (Remains of) (4)

Roof corbels (T.c.2) are still visible in the Church Tower. See G.P.s. (5)

Founded as a secular college for a dean and twelve priests in 1310; converted to a Benedictine priory for a priest and twelve monks in 1319. Dissolved in 1536. (6)


SD 5229 0509. Up Holland Benedictine priory. Scheduled RSM No.27661. The priory is thought to have occupied a large block of land to the S of the priory church and its extent is likely to have been defined by a permanent wall; further remains are likely to survive outside the Scheduled area. The ruins comprise the W wall of the dorter range on the E side of the cloister; the wall is c.21m long with a row of 7 windows in the upper storey. Internally it is c.19m x 8m. Part of the dorter's E wall forms part of the adjacent Priory House, where it is protected by the Grade II listing of that house. The present church of St Thomas is Grade I and is excluded from the scheduling even though it developed out of the priory church and lies on the site of that earlier church. Within the N end of the dorter a 17th/18th century bakehouse and privy were constructed; its walls and roof are also excluded from the scheduling. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS Monastic Britian. South Sheet. 1951
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : R1 FDC 10-JUL-52
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 23-JUL-52
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 59,419,442
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage Scheduling Amendment 18/3/96
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 111
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2b
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume two
Source details : 166
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2c
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume four
Source details :
Page(s) : 94
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2d
Source : Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 172
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 60, 1949
Source Number : 2e
Source : Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 36
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 58, 1947
Source Number : 2f
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Don G Dolan Trans Hist Soc Lancs & Ches Vols 43 & 44 1893 204 229-30
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1845-6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500 1928
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1318
Monument Start Date : 1307
Monument Type : Chantry Chapel, Collegiate Chapel
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1319
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery, Priory, Dormitory
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 27661
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 50 NW 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 610382
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1311643
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 50 NW 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1952-07-23
End Date : 1952-07-23