HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Boslow Stone

Hob Uid: 421875
Location :
Cornwall
St. Just
Grid Ref : SW3924933039
Summary : An early medieval inscribed granite stone in land adjacent to Water Lane. The stone is lichen covered. Probably 8th-11th century.
More information : Langdon and Allen list an Early Christian
Monument (a "rude pillar stone") standing on a waste piece of
land called Water Lane at Boslow, St.Just-in-Penwith.
[See AO/59/379/3] (1)

"This stone stands at the upper end of Water Lane, a moorland
track some distance from the village of Bosullow: at the back of a
farm which is N.E. of a conspicuous mass of rocks on a hilltop;
and in the middle of a dense thicket of thorny shrubs, which make
the taking of a satisfactory photograph next to impossible. It is
of granite 4'0" x 1'2" x 1'1". The inscription is on the W.face:
it seems to have been pocked, and is in good condition, but is much
clogged with lichen. There is a cross potent on the southern
face, and a peculiar cross with a looped transom underneath the
inscription. Langdon (1)(2) reads the latter TAETUENA, but this
is not quite correct, and his representation of the cross falls
slightly short of his usual high standard of accuracy. The true
reading of the inscription, which is in two lines reading downward,
is TAET UERA" (2)

Macalister lists the stone under "Boslow (aliter Boscullow)" and
gives a clearer illustration [See AO/59/379/4] than in (3).
[The first three authorities list this stone in St. Just-in-Penwith
parish, as does H.O'N. Hencken in "Arch of Cornwall and Scilly
1932, pp 300, 265. Boslow is in Sancreed parish at SW 3932 and
Great and Little Bosullow are in Madron parish at SW 4133] (3)

SW 3925 3305 Inscribed stone at Boslow [sited] (4)

Macalister's measurements and description of the stone appear
to be correct. It stands on the NE. side of a small mound, probably
modern. The stone is at SW 3924 3303.
It is now unencumbered by shrubs. Ground photographs: see
AO/61/35/3 for inscription on W.face; and AO/61/35/4 for S.face. (5)

No change: Surveyed at 1:2500. (6)

(SW 39243303) Inscribed Stone (NR) (BS) (NAT) (7)

An inscribed memorial stone recorded as a bound stone named
'Krowse East' between St Just and Morvah in 1613 (a).

Scheduled under Inscribed Stones. (8-11)

Full description of the stone and discussion of the text, which stylistically dates the stone to the 8th-11th centuries. (12)

Listed. (13)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Archaeologia Cambrensis
Source details : (A.G. Landon & J. R. Allen)
Page(s) : 50,56
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 12 5th Series, 1895
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : "Corpus Inscriptionum Insularum Celticarum" No.1055 (R.A.S. Macalister)
Page(s) : 185
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1949
Source Number : 10
Source : West Penwith survey
Source details :
Page(s) : 81-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : DOE (IAM) Sched List 31.12.77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Corpus of early Christian inscribed stones of south-west Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 70-2
Figs. : II.3
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture: Vol XI. Early Cornish Sculpture
Source details :
Page(s) : 253, 267
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Cambrensis
Source details : (R.A.S. Macalister)
Page(s) : 180
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 84, 1929
Source Number : 4
Source : Proceedings of the West Cornwall Field Club
Source details : (V. Russell)
Page(s) : 101
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1958-9
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NVQ 05-JAN-61
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 MJF 16-APR-75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500 1976
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Corn Crosses MS 1960 400 (R D Baird)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8a
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Henderson MS RIC Truro
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall
Source details : Ecclesiastical History (C Henderson)
Page(s) : 242
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : (1957-1960)

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C8-11
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 701
Monument Type : Inscribed Stone
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CO 750
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1143266
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1003110
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 69219
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SW 33 SE 77
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SW 33 SE 77
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1961-01-05
End Date : 1961-01-05
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SW 33 SE 77
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-04-16
End Date : 1975-04-16