HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 426049

Hob Uid: 426049
Location :
Cornwall
Cornwall
St. Agnes
Grid Ref : SW6975049590
Summary : The remains of a medieval chapel at Chapel Porth, located 570 metres north-west of Wheal Freedom. The turf covered footings of a wall, up to 0.4m high form a building of rectangular plan orientated south-west/north-east. The sides measure 7.3 metres by 2.9 metres internally and the orientation is necessitated by its situation on a shelf in a narrow defile. This is very probably the remains of the medieval chapel. The remains of a post-medieval building, considered to be a store or shelter, intrude upon the south-east corner. It is conjectural whether the squared stones in this structure are from the chapel or the adjacent Holy Well which was in existence until circa 1820 (SW 64 NE 1). Scheduled.
More information : SW 69754960. The site of the chapel at Chapel Porth,
destroyed in 1780, has been rediscovered from the description
given by Borlase. The enclosure, situated on a level platform
is clearly visible. (1)

(SW 69754947) CHAPEL (NR)
(Supposed site of ) (NAT) (2)

A roofless stone built hut (possibly a powder or tool store),
containing several squared stones certainly from the chapel
building, now occupies one corner of the enclosure. (Plan shows
building c 5m square). (3)

The turf covered footings of a wall, up to 0.4m high form a
building of rectangular plan orientated SW-NE. The sides measure
12.0m x 7.0m and the orientation is necessitated by its situation
on a shelf in a narrow defile. Very probably the remains of the
medieval chapel.
Surveyed at 1/2500 at SW 69754959.
The remains of the powder store which intrude upon the SE corner
have not been surveyed. It is conjectural whether the squared
stones in this structure are from the chapel or the adjacent
Holy Well which was in existence until c 1820 (SW 64 NE 1). (4)

The remains of a medieval chapel located 570 metres north-west of Wheal Freedom. The chapel measures about 7.3 metres by 2.9 metres internally, and is closely surrounded by a sub-rectangular enclosure with an entrance in the centre of the south-west bank. The remains of a further enclosure lie to to the north-west. Scheduled. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Cornish archaeology
Source details : R B Warner
Page(s) : 41-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1965
Source Number : 1a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Par Mem, 1750, 37, (W Borlase)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 2nd Edn
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Cornish archaeology
Source details : Warner
Page(s) : 4103
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1965
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NVQ 01-MAY-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 10-Oct-00
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Chapel, Enclosure
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post-medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Shelter, Powder Magazine, Storehouse
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 32924
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1019213
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SW 64 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SW 64 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-05-01
End Date : 1970-05-01