HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church Of St Agnes

Hob Uid: 428393
Location :
Cornwall
Cornwall
St. Agnes
Grid Ref : SW7203150735
Summary : Parish church with 15th century origins, restored in 1848 by Piers St Aubyn. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise killas rubble with granite dressings. Dressed granite broach spire behind embattled parapet to tower, otherwise dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Stone stack over vestry. 15th century west tower; 19th century nave and chancel; 19th century north aisle south aisle and south porch linked to covered passage and vestry added in 1909. The church is alleged to stand on the possible site of a Celtic church.
More information : (SW 72035073) St Agnes's Church (Vicarage) (NAT) (1)

The church of St Agnes was a chapelry to Perranzabuloe until 1846. (2)

The 15th century building was heavily restored in 1848 with the exception of the tower and its spire. (3)

A few years before Henderson's death (died 1934) the pier bases of the 1482 church were discovered beneath the floor and these rested on the foundations of an earlier church, thought to be the original Celtic foundation. One base may be seen below a trapdoor to the south side near the west end of the church. (4,5)

Church with 15th century origins, restored in 1848 by Piers St Aubyn. The spire was rebuilt in 1905. Grade II*. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1888
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall
Source details : Eccl Hist 1-6 (C Henderson)
Page(s) : 01-Jun
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1953-1956
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Corn Saints Series St Perran 68 (Canon Doble)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Corn Ch Guide 1964 19-20 (C Henderson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Truro RD Oct 1960 23
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Cornish archaeology
Source details : PH Checklist (R Warner)
Page(s) : 115
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1, 1962
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Carrick, Oct 1988 71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 410
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored
Monument End Date : 1848
Monument Start Date : 1848
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 63779
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1328673
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SW 75 SW 24
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :