HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 428742

Hob Uid: 428742
Location :
Cornwall
St. Allen
Grid Ref : SW8250049700
Summary : Possible sites of a Medieval farmhouse and chapel. The barton of Lanner was purchased by the Bishops of Exeter in 1269 and was frequently visited in the 14th and 15th Centuries. Attached to this was a chapel which was first mentioned in 1321.
More information : (SW 825497) Lanner on site of a Barton (NR). (1)

The Bishops of Exeter purchased the barton of Lanner in 1269 and
had a residence there which they frequently visited during the 14th
and 15th centuries. Attached to this was a chapel which is mentioned
in 1321. This may have been the chapel between the present farm
houses of Lanner and Tretherras (at SW 82064995) but it is always
possible that the Bishop's Chapel was more nearly adjoining the
house at Lanner. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1891.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall
Source details : Ecclesiastical History (C Henderson)
Page(s) : 12
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1956

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : By 1321
Monument End Date : 1321
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Chapel, Farmhouse
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SW 84 NW 19
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :