HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Callaly Castle

Hob Uid: 4320
Location :
Northumberland
Callaly
Grid Ref : NU0526309875
Summary : Country house, incorporating a 14th century pele tower. This developed into a hall and cross wing house in 1619 when these were added to the tower, initially as a great hall. The hall range was remodelled and extended in 1676. The right hand wing is dated 1707 but the thickness of the walls suggests that it may be earlier. The left hand section of the east front was built in 1750 and extended to the right in 1890 with the addition of a ballroom and museum wing. Various alterations were carried out in 1749, including the refacing of the pele tower, the west wall of which was rebuilt circa 1840. A further wing was added in 1836 and altered in 1893. A 2 storey loggia, now blocked, was built behind the tower in the early 18th century.
More information : (NU 05250986) Tower (NR) (Remains of) (1)

Callaly Castle, 17th century to early 19th century, incorporating a
Medieval tower in the SW corner (2). Grade II (3). (2-3)

Callaly Castle as described. Apart from the pele-tower, forming the W wing, no other part shows evidence of fortification. The house reflects outstanding internal and external architecture of several periods, and although still privately owned, is open to the public from Whitsun until September.

The remains of the pele-tower comprise the N, E & S walls, circa 7 ft thick, but no original detail is visible as both internal and external wallings have been altered and refaced. See guide book and
ground photographs. (4)

Additional references. (5 and 6)

Country house, incorporating a 14th century pele tower. This probably developed into a hall and cross wing house some time during the 15th century. The hall range was remodelled and extended in 1676. The right hand wing is dated 1707 but the thickness of the walls suggests that it may be earlier. The left hand section of the east front was built in 1750 and extended to the right in 1890 with the addition of a ballroom and museum wing. Various alterations were carried out in 1749, including the refacing of the pele tower, the west wall of which was rebuilt circa 1840. A further wing was added in 1836 and altered in 1893. A 2 storey loggia, now blocked, was built behind the tower in the early 18th century. Listed Grade I. (7)

The pele tower was built shortly before 1415 as the main residence of the Clavering family. Sir John Clavering commissioned Robert Trollope to build a great hall adjoining the tower in 1619. In 1749 the West wall of the tower was replaced, a new wall being built within it, which explains its asymmetrical appearance. (8,9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1926
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : A history of Northumberland, volume fourteen : the parishes of Alnham, Chatton, Chillingham, Eglingham, Ilderton, Ingram and Whittingham, the chapelries of Lowick and Doddington
Source details :
Page(s) : 529-532
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.14
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Rothbury RD Northum Sept 1948 4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F4 JRL 05-NOV-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Rothbury RD Northum Sept 1948 4 (auth 5 is the full text of auth 3.)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Corrigendum Rothbury RD Northum Aug 1972.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Alnwick, 03-SEP-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 155-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 329
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Pele Tower
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended 1619
Monument End Date : 1619
Monument Start Date : 1619
Monument Type : Hall House, Cross Wing House, Great Hall
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in 1893
Monument End Date : 1893
Monument Start Date : 1893
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled in 1676
Monument End Date : 1676
Monument Start Date : 1676
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Early C18
Monument End Date : 1732
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Country House, Loggia
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Wing dated 1707
Monument End Date : 1707
Monument Start Date : 1707
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in 1749
Monument End Date : 1749
Monument Start Date : 1749
Monument Type : Country House, Pele Tower
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended in 1750
Monument End Date : 1750
Monument Start Date : 1750
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Wall rebuilt c1840
Monument End Date : 1850
Monument Start Date : 1830
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended in 1836
Monument End Date : 1836
Monument Start Date : 1836
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended in 1890
Monument End Date : 1890
Monument Start Date : 1890
Monument Type : Country House, Ballroom, Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 236123
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 77151
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NU 00 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NU 00 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-11-05
End Date : 1976-11-05