HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Trematon Castle

Hob Uid: 437464
Location :
Cornwall
Saltash
Grid Ref : SX4108057990
Summary : Castle mentioned in Domesday and passed to the Duchy of Cornwall in 1337. It became neglected in the mid 14th century and was in ruins by the 16th century. There are the remains of a 12th century shell keep and the gatehouse, rebuilt in the 13th century, is substantially intact. A deer park is named in 1282 but had lost the deer by 1500. Higher Lodge, a two storey crenellated house, was built within the castle bailey in 1807-8 and part of the curtain wall was demolished to provide views of the estuary. The house is attributed to DA Alexander. Scheduled.
More information : (SX 41065801) Trematon Castle (NR) (remains of) (NAT).
(SX 41075795) Gateway (NR). (1)

Trematon Castle, mentioned in Domesday, passed to the Duchy of Cornwall in 1337. It became neglected in the mid 14th century and was in ruins in the 16th century. See plans. The 12th century shell keep stands on a natural hillock having traces of buildings round its internal face.

A large portion of the curtain wall, including parapet, still stands but a length to the south east was destroyed to provide a view of the estuary when the house was built within the bailey in 1807. No trace exists of the hall and chapel which originally stood in the bailey.

The gatehouse, rebuilt in the 13th century, is substantially complete although the windows have been enlarged. HHR Grade 1. (2-4)

The deer park adjoining Trematon Castle was named in 1282 but had lost its deer by 1500. (5)

Higher Lodge. Listed Grade II*. 1807-1808 Attributed by Hussey to DA Alexander and listed to the Duchy of Cornwall. A two storey structured, crenellated and is situated within the castle bailey, part of the curtain wall was demolished to provide a view. See Christopher Hussey for addition details - Country Life 3 Sept 1948. (6)

Listed by Cathcart King. (7)

Bought by Richard, Earl of Cornwall, in 1270 from the vautort family, it was bestowed on the Black Prince in 1337. At the time it was described as being well-walled, containing a kitchen, hall and two-storied chamber, the buildings being constructed on wood and plaster. There was also a chapel and gateway. Granted out between 1392-1443, it was again in royal hands from 1443, and was in ruins by Lelands time. In the early 19th century a surveyor-general of Cornwall bought the property and built a house for himself in the bailey. He pulled down a section of the wall in order to improve the view. The keep, 13th century gateway and the graeter part of the bailey wall still remain largely intact. (8)

Kenyon records 2 gunports at Trematon Castle, of the period 1360-1539. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10 000 1972
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : (S Toy)
Page(s) : 217-9
Figs. : PLAN
Plates : PHOTOS
Vol(s) : 83, 1933
Source Number : 3
Source : Norman castles in Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 330-2
Figs. : PLAN
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Prov HHR) Saltash MB Feb 1951 2
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Essays in Cornish history
Source details :
Page(s) : 161
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) District of Caradon Nov '82 14
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 76
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1
Source Number : 8
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 846-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 84
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1977

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : documented in Domesday
Monument End Date : 1086
Monument Start Date : 1086
Monument Type : Castle
Evidence : Extant Building, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Shell Keep
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : rebuilt C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Documented in 1282
Monument End Date : 1282
Monument Start Date : 1282
Monument Type : Deer Park
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1337
Monument End Date : 1337
Monument Start Date : 1337
Monument Type : Great Hall, Kitchen, Domestic Chapel, Gate
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant betweeen 1360-1539
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1360
Monument Type : Loopholed Wall
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Out of use by 1500
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Deer Park
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : built 1807-8
Monument End Date : 1808
Monument Start Date : 1807
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CO 578
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 60433
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 60432
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 60434
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 60435
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 60436
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 45 NW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :