HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Plymouth Castle

Hob Uid: 437578
Location :
City of Plymouth
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SX4828053950
Summary : Started circa 1399 with further additions of circa 1416. It was restored in 1508 but gradually demolished after the Civil War. Only the remains of a gateway in Lambhay Street are now visible. Scheduled.
More information : (SX 48285395) Gateway (NR) (remains of) (NAT). (1)

The construction of Plymouth Castle was initiated under patent from Henry IV when a wall with towers and other defences was erected by the inhabitants. In 1416 two towers were erected and in 1519 the defences were further strengthened. It was described by Leland (circa 1540) as 'a castle quadrate, having at each corner a great round tower'. Restoration work was done in 1508-9 but it was probably allowed to fall into decay after the Civil War. In 1807 a townsman named Harris recollects that there were remains of one tower with a diameter of 30ft and that 200ft. to the south were the remains of another with a diameter of only 10ft, finally removed about 1804. The tower Harris describes disappeared in recent years (2), he also evidently over-looked the remains of the gateway in Lambhay Street (see illustration). These remains representing the right-hand flanking turret of the gatehouse, South Port, are rectangular in plan with a semi-circular end and are rounded rubble stonework walls rising to about 10ft, resting on exposed rock. (2)

Remains of the gatehouse of the "South Port". Probably C14 or C15. Rubble wall about 3m high, built on bedrock. Short length of very thick wall with central semicircular on plan truncated projection which is the remains of the right-hand flanking turret of the west gatehouse. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (3)

History from 1485-1660. (4)

Notes on the state of the castle in 1623. (5)

Similar information. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:1250 1966
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : (R N Worth)
Page(s) : 255-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 39 - 1883
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Plymouth Devon 1975 49
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 4 : 1485-1660 (Part 2)
Source details :
Page(s) : 484-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 47-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 16, 1988
Source Number : 6
Source : The historic defences of Plymouth
Source details :
Page(s) : 130
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1399-1414
Monument End Date : 1416
Monument Start Date : 1399
Monument Type : Castle, Keep, Gatehouse
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished circa1650-60
Monument End Date : 1660
Monument Start Date : 1650
Monument Type : Castle, Keep
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : DV 217
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 473554
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 45 SE 63
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :