HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Gunnislake Clitters Mine

Hob Uid: 438041
Location :
Cornwall
Calstock
Grid Ref : SX4215907218
Summary : Remains of a 19th to early 20th century copper, tin, arsenic and wolfram mine. The earliest remains comprise early post medieval workings, but intensive mining activity began circa 1820. These remains include an adit and associated dressing floors, spoil dumps and water wheels. Operations ceased in 1827 and the mine was re-opened in 1858. Remains from this period include a number of engine houses, boiler houses, dressing floors, chimneys, ore crushing houses and smithies. The main dressing floor was linked to the lower slope dressing floor and arsenic works by a tramway, part of which survives. The arsenic works were linked by a flue to a further chimney. Some of this area has been destroyed by later mining activity. In 1900, a new company amalgamated this mine with three others nearby and built a large ore reprocessing mill on the lower slope. A new dressing floor was constructed near the mill, with an ore drying plant to the east and the arsenic works to the south west. Inclined tramways carried materials to and from the mill. The reprocessing works ceased operation in 1909. The mine was reopened following the outbreak of war in 1914 though little work was carried out underground. Most of the ore processed came from existing spoil dumps or from reopened mines to the south west, brought to the site by aerial ropeway. The mine finally closed in the late 1920s. It is now contained within the World Heritage Site of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.
More information : (SX 424723) Gunnislake Clitters Mine (Tin Copper & Arsenic, Disused) (NAT) (1)

Gunnislake Clitters Mine, worked 1822-7 and re-opened in 1860s. It was amalgamated with Hingston Down Consols (SX 47 SW 9) and Old Gunnislake Mine (SX 47 SW 16) in 1900; abandoned in late 1920s.

Remains of two engine house, a treatment mill and some flues survive. (The track of the old tramway incline up to the railway line is shown on OS 6" 1954). (2-3)

SX 420720. Remains of a 19th/early 20th century copper, tin, arsenic and wolfram mine. The earliest remains comprise early post medieval workings, but intensive mining activity began circa 1820. These remains include an adit and associated dressing floors, spoil dumps and water wheels. Operations ceased in 1827 and the mine was re-opened in 1858. Remains from this period include a number of engine houses, boiler houses, dressing floors, chimneys, ore crushing houses and smithies. The main dressing floor was linked to the lower slope dressing floor and arsenic works by a tramway, part of which survives. The arsenic works were linked by a flue to a further chimney. Some of this area has been destroyed by later mining activity. In 1900, a new company amalgamated this mine with three others nearby and built a large ore reprocessing mill on the lower slope. A new dressing floor was constructed near the mill, with an ore drying plant to the east and the arsenic works to the south west. Inclined tramways carried materials to and from the mill. The reprocessing works ceased operation in 1909. The mine was reopened following the outbreak of war in 1914 though little work was carried out underground. Most of the ore processed came from existing spoil dumps or from reopened mines to the south west, brought to the site by aerial ropeway. The mine finally closed in the late 1920s. Scheduled. The riverside pumping engine house and chimney are Listed Grade II. (4)

Documented. (5-8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1954
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The industrial archaeology of the Tamar Valley
Source details :
Page(s) : 195-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The industrial archaeology of Cornwall
Source details :
Page(s) : 214
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 08-Sep-03
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports
Source details : The Copper Industry, Vol.2, Cornwall 23, 1995
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports
Source details : Cranstone D. and Hedley I. June 1995, The Tin Industry Step 3 Site Assessments: Cornwall 139
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Nomination of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape for inclusion on the World Heritage List.
Source details :
Page(s) : 116
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : [Accessed 14-AUG-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post medieval
Monument End Date : 1819
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Copper Mine, Tin Mine, Mine Shaft
Evidence : Subterranean Feature, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : c1820s-1827
Monument End Date : 1827
Monument Start Date : 1820
Monument Type : Tin Mine, Copper Mine, Arsenic Mine, Tungsten Mine, Mine Shaft, Adit, Dressing Floor, Water Wheel
Evidence : Earthwork, Subterranean Feature, Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1858-1880s
Monument End Date : 1889
Monument Start Date : 1858
Monument Type : Copper Mine, Tin Mine, Arsenic Mine, Tungsten Mine, Mine Shaft, Spoil Heap, Engine House, Winder House, Boiler House, Drying House, Blacksmiths Workshop, Crushing Mill, Workshop, Office, Dressing Floor, Buddle, Settling Tank, Chimney, Condensing Flue, Pond, Tramway
Evidence : Earthwork, Ruined Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1900-1909
Monument End Date : 1909
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : Ore Works, Tin Works, Arsenic Works, Powder Magazine, Dressing Floor, Buddle, Wheel Pit, Drying Kiln, Chimney, Arsenic Calciner, Condensing Flue, Tramway, Spoil Heap, Condenser, Flue
Evidence : Demolished Building, Extant Building, Structure, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1914-1929
Monument End Date : 1929
Monument Start Date : 1914
Monument Type : Ore Works, Tin Works, Spoil Heap, Aerial Ropeway
Evidence : Demolished Building, Earthwork, Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 60852
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 15545
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Cornwall)
External Cross Reference Number : 42136
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 47 SW 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1457163
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1457163
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31