HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Legis Tor Settlement

Hob Uid: 438698
Location :
Devon
West Devon
Sheepstor
Grid Ref : SX5693065270
Summary : A field system containing 13 hut circles occupies an area of 6ha on the lower South and South-West flanks of Legis Tor. The Legis Tor settlement is situated on a southerly slope above the River Plym at 250-270 m OD. It consists of a complex of five enclosures (see plan), of which A is clearly the primary one. There are huts within the enclosures and outside. The overall dimensions of the complex are 150.0m north-south and 200.0m west-east, covering an area of approximately 3.0 ha. The enclosure walling is double-faced with rubble infill; thickness 1.2 to 1.6m. The 15 huts are mainly of Type 2 (Type site SX 56 NE 71) and ruinous; four are incorporated into the walling of the enclosures. Their average internal diameter is 5.1m, the largest being 7.0m and the smallest 4.0m. There is also a number of small yards sometimes adjacent to the larger huts, which were possibly stock pens. In six of the huts the entrance is visible, all on the south or south south west side. The enclosure wall on the south west appears to deviate from its logical course to avoid the hut outside the settlement. There is evidence of clearance for cultivation in all the enclosures, and on the lower edges of some there is a soil build-up forming a lynchet against the walls.
More information : (SX 570652) Enclosed Hut Group & Hut Circles (NR). (1)

A Bronze Age settlement at Legis Tor comprising four integrated
enclosures with several hut circles inside and outside the
enclosures. Plan (3). As can be deduced from the plan,
enclosure 'A', is the original nucleus with the other enclosures
as successive additions (5) subsequently covering a total area of
4 1/4 acres. Fox (6) classifies the settlement as pastoral, but
Ralegh Radford considers "it may have been also cultivated as in
some other pounds of this type". Ten of the huts were excavated
in 1895/6 (2). The huts ranged from 12ft 6ins to 21ft diameter,
in several of them was a stone hearth with an adjacent cooking
hole and two of them were devoid of occupational evidence. Seven
of the huts yielded pottery. Griffiths dates the settlement,
mainly by the pottery, to Early Bronze Age and considers that a
"round bottomed" pot (now destroyed) found in one of the cooking
holes bears a Neolithic influence. Fox (4) claims that the pot
could well have been misinterpreted and actually have been flat
bottomed with Late Bronze Age affinities. Other notable finds
included pot boilers, flint fragments, a clay spindle whorl and
two flint arrowheads one of which was a derived petit tranchet
(4).

Cliff erosion has destroyed part of the south west enclosure wall (3 &5). (2-7)

The Legis Tor settlement is situated on a southerly slope above
the River Plym at 250-270 m OD. It consists of a complex of five
enclosures (see plan), of which A is clearly the primary one.
There are huts within the enclosures and outside. The overall
dimensions of the complex are 150.0m north-south and 200.0m
west-east, covering an area of approximately 3.0 ha. The
enclosure walling is double-faced with rubble infill; thickness
1.2 to 1.6m. The 15 huts are mainly of Type 2 (Type site
SX 56 NE 71) and ruinous; four are incorporated into the walling
of the enclosures. Their average internal diameter is 5.1m, the
largest being 7.0m and the smallest 4.0m. There is also a number
of small yards sometimes adjacent to the larger huts, which were
possibly stock pens. In six of the huts the entrance is visible,
all on the south or south south west side. The enclosure wall on
the south west appears to deviate from its logical course to
avoid the hut outside the settlement. There is evidence of
clearance for cultivation in all the enclosures, and on the
lower edges of some there is a soil build-up forming a lynchet
against the walls.

Surveyed at 1:10 000 on PFD. (8)

Scheduled, National Number 22289. (9)

Centred SX 56936527. A field system containing 13 hut circles occupies an area of 6ha on the lower S and SW flanks of Legis Tor. The field system is best preserved on the S where five irregular, adjoining enclosures contain all but one of the huts. These enclosures vary between 0.1ha and 0.6ha and lie in an area of often dense clitter. Several of the enclosures are further sub-divided. The W portion of the field system is quite poorly preserved and exists as a series of fragmentary banks forming no apparent pattern. A single hut circle lies in this part of the site.
The enclosure walls are largely as described by Authority 8 though several are little more than low stony banks 1.0m wide and 0.3m high. Two of the enclosures at the NE edge of the site (one previously recorded as 438926) are simply clearings in the clitter. This site is more extensive than previously recorded and also incorporates the truncated remains of a small enclosure (438932) adjacent to the streamworking remains flanking Legis Lake.
It is obvious from the remains that several of the features described by Authority 8 as hut circles are the products of later activity on the site as are two very small enclosures.
The hut circles are largely integral with the enclosure banks though several are free-standing. All the huts have level interiors unless otherwise stated. Few display obvious entrances. All diameters are internal.
SX 57056522. Measuring 5.1m in diameter this hut has been truncated by a later leat.
SX 57046521. An excavated or possibly reused hut measuring 4.8m in diameter with rebuilt walls 2.5m wide and a maximum of 1.2m high. The interior of this hut lies approximately 0.5m below the surrounding ground level.
SX 57036523. Orthostatic walls 0.9m high enclose an area 4.4m in diameter. A well-defined entrance lies in the S side.
SX 57026521. An excavated hut 3.6m in diameter with rebuilt walls 2.0m wide and 0.9m high. Again the interior lies below the outside ground level.
SX 57006521. Walls 0.9m wide and 0.6m hig enclose an area of 4.3m in diameter.
SX 56956520. A disturbed hut 3.5m in diameter with walls 1.0m wide and 0.3m high.
SX 56976521. Another excavated hut 6.7m in diameter with walls 2.5m wide and 1.0m high. An entrance, possibly created on the whim of the excavator lies in the S side.
SX 56926521. A well-preserved hut 6.5m in diameter with walls 2.2m wide and 0.9m high.
SX 56916523. A robbed hut 4.1m in diameter with walls 1.2m wide and 0.5m high.
SX 57006526. A disturbed hut 5.3m across with walls 1.5m wide and 0.5m high. This hut may have been excavated thus accounting for the irregular interior.
SX 56986528. This hut measures 5.5m in diameter with walls 2.0m wide and 0.7m high. Possibly excavated.
SX 56976529. Measuring 5.8m in diameter this hut has walls 1.5m wide and 0.6m high. The W quadrant has been disturbed by later activity.
SX 57016528. An excavated hut 5.6m across with walls 2.5m wide and 1.0m high. A possible entrance lies in the S side.
The solitary hut associated with the W portion of the field system lies at SX 56866542. This feature has been excavated and partially infilled with clearance stone. It measures 4.6m in diameter with walls 1.5m wide and 1.0m high. Two upright slabs in the SW side may indicate the site of a former entrance.
The two features interpreted as huts by Authority 8 lie at SX 57016520 and SX 56896518. The former is a crude circle of stones enclosing a sloping area 4.7m across. The latter is a sub-rectangular structure measuring 4.5m E to W by 2.9m with unbroken walls 2.0m wide and 1.0m high. It is adjoined by a small poorly built enclosure roughly 8.5m in diameter. A further rectangular feature measuring 6.0m N to S by 3.5m lies adjacent to a prehistoric wall at SX 57016518. This area is simply marked out by a line of boulders. It is difficult to give date or function to these later features though they may relate to the warrening phase of activity on this site.
(10)



Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1954
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Devonshire Association reports and transactions
Source details :
Page(s) : 183-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 28, 1896
Source Number : 3
Source : Devonshire Association reports and transactions
Source details : (R H Worth)
Page(s) : 286
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 75, 1943
Source Number : 4
Source : Archaeologia Cambrensis
Source details : (W E Griffiths) (A Fox)
Page(s) : 63-66, 167-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 101, 1950
Source Number : 5
Source : Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society
Source details : (C A Ralegh Radford)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 18, 1952
Source Number : 6
Source : South-West England, 3500BC-AD600
Source details :
Page(s) : 86-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : AP's (RAF/CPE/UK/2494 3131-2 11 March 1948)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JGB 27-JUN-77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Schedule amendment 29-May-2001
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Probert SAJ 15-FEB-2005 EH Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Bronze Age
Display Date : Bronze Age
Monument End Date : -700
Monument Start Date : -2600
Monument Type : Enclosed Settlement, Hut Circle
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 10704
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : DV 274
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 10696
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 10705
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22289
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 56 NE 69
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SX 56 NE 68
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-06-27
End Date : 1977-06-27
Associated Activities : RINGMOOR DOWN CONDITION SURVEY
Activity type : MANAGEMENT SURVEY
Start Date : 2005-02-01
End Date : 2005-05-01