HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 440222

Hob Uid: 440222
Location :
Devon
West Devon
Walkhampton
Grid Ref : SX5781070110
Summary : A post medieval farmstead comprising a farmhouse, barn, possible semi-subterranean storage facility, three garden areas, a possible outside lavatory or kennel, a hollow way and a possible storage or work area. The door lintel of the farmhouse bears the date 1668. Scheduled.
More information : SX 578702 A deserted Medieval site, known as Roundy Farm,
consisting of two buildings and enclosures. (1)

Ruin at SX 57817011. (2-3)

The building is shown on the Tithe Map in use, or at least still
roofed, and was then called 'Roundepark'. (4)

This deserted Medieval site in Burrator Forest consists of the remains of two contiguous buildings at SX 57817011 with the remains of another possible building at SX 57787011. The two contiguous buildings measure internally 4.5 x 3.7m and 7.8 x 3.0m with drystone walls 2.0m in height and 0.7m thick. One of them has two window openings remaining, which measure 0.6 x 0.3m. The possible building at SX 57787011 measures 13.0m x 2.5 internally with a subdivision at 5.3m from the west end; its wall is 1.2m high and 0.6m thick.

Surveyed at 1:10 000 on PFD. (5)

Additional bibliography. (6)

Roundy farmstead lies within a large sub-circular enclosure. The farmhouse is terraced into the hillslope and survives as a 2-roomed building defined by a 0.7 metre wide drystone wall standing up to 2.6 metres high. The upper room measures 5.1 metres by 3.9 metres and is separated by a rubble wall from the lower room which is 3.9 metres by 3.3 metres. There were oppposed doors in the long walls of the lower room, though the eastern door is now blocked. This originally gave access to a small structure dug into the hillside, surviving as a 0.7 metre deep drystone-lined pit with internal dimensions of 2.44 metres by 1.37 metres. This is interpreted as the base of a stairwell. The west-facing door gives onto a passage leading to the farmyard. It has been suggested that this building was originally a medieval longhouse, but much of the standing fabric probably dates to the later 17th century and the door lintel bears the date 1668 as well as the initials RC. A barn adjoins the lower side of the farmhouse, surviving as a single-roomed building defined by a 1.3 metre high drystone wall. The interior measures 7.62 metres 3.05 metres and west-facing the doorway gives onto the farmyard. East of this barn is a stone-lined hollow, 8.8 metres by 2.2 metres and up to 1.5 metres deep, interpreted as a root crop storage facility. A hollow way, 2.6 metres wide and 1 metre deep, leads to the farmstead. It is defined to the north by a drystone revetment and to the south by a drystone wall. 2 garden areas have been identified, one west of the farmstead, the other east of the barn. A third lies within an abandoned stone hut circle, 70 metre to the north-west. West of the farmstead lies a small, open-sided structure, 2.1 metres by 1.37 metres internally and defined by a 1 metre high drystone wall. This may be an outside lavatory or a dog kennel. Further west stands a 2-roomed building with walls 1metre wide and 1.1 metre high. The eastern room measures 7.32 metres by 2.44 metres and the western room is 5.79 metres by 2.44 metres. It may have provided additional storage space or an undercover work area. The earliest published reference to this site dates to 1609. It is not known when it was abandoned. A map of 1839 shows roofed buildings, but by the early 20th century the site was deserted. Scheduled. (7)

The roofless ruins of this farmstead and is associsted plots and structures is well preserved. The dated door lintel has been removed. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : C D Linchan
Page(s) : 124-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 10
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1963
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : AP's (RAF CPE/UK/2149 3439-40 11 June 1947)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : TM and Award Walkhampton 1839
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JGB 19-AUG-77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : High Dartmoor : land and people
Source details :
Page(s) : 139-140, 141-43
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduled Monument Revision, 06-OCT-2000
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : M.Fletcher. English Heritage Field Investigation 04 -February-2008
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C17th to C19th
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Farmstead, Farmhouse, Barn, Hollow Way, Storehouse, Toilet, Kennels, Garden
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : First mentioned in 1609
Monument End Date : 1609
Monument Start Date : 1609
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Dated 1668 on lintel
Monument End Date : 1668
Monument Start Date : 1668
Monument Type : Farmstead, Date Stone, Barn, Storehouse, Toilet, Kennels, Hollow Way, Garden
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22380
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 57 SE 68
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SX 57 SE 68
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-08-19
End Date : 1977-08-19
Associated Activities : ENGLISH HERITAGE: WALKHAMPTON PREMIER ARCHAEOLOGICAL LANDSCAPE; FIELD INVESTIGATION PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2007-05-01
End Date : 2008-05-01