HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church Of St John The Baptist

Hob Uid: 44047
Location :
Lancashire
Lancaster
Tunstall
Grid Ref : SD6141473925
Summary : St John The Baptist's Church, formerly St Michael's. Extant in 1087 but rebuilt circa 1415 with 13th century remains. Additions of 16th century. Restored 1847. Comprises a west tower, a nave and chancel under a continuous roof, north and south aisles, and a 2-storey south porch.
More information : [SD 6141 7392] St. John the Baptist's Church [T.U.] (1)

The church of ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, originally called ST.
MICHAEL'S (It is referred to as such in 1513) consists of
chancel with north organ chamber and vestry and south aisle,
nave with north and south aisle, south porch and west tower.
The building is of 15c. date, said to have been rebuilt c. 1415,
but the windows of the chancel and south chancel aisle appear
to be of the 16c., and the east end may have been reconstructed
at the same time., or the windows may be insertions. There are
some remains of a 13c. structure, fragments of which have been
used in the rebuilding in the responds of the north arcade,
and a sepoldral slab 6 feet 5 inches long with a border of
dog-tooth ornament was found in 1907 when the church was restored
and the organ chamber and vestry built. There was an interior
renovation in 1847.

The walls are of rubble with gritstone dressings throughout, once
covered with plaster, which now remains only on the north side.
The marble font is of 18c. date. In the churchyard is a circular
stone sundial shaft without plate on three octagonal steps.
The church existed in 1087 as appears from Domesday Book. The
patronage would belong to the lord of the manor. In the time of
HENRY II, ADAM de MONTBEGON granted TUNSTALL to CROXTON Abbey in
Leicestershire. The church would be served by a stipendiary
priest or by one of the canons, but before 1230 a vicarage was
ordained. Even then it was the rule for one of the canons to be
appointed.
At the Dissolution the Crown retained the rectory with the
advowson of the vicarage but in 1588 sold them to EDWARD DOWNING
and another, who quickly transferred it to FRANCIS TUNSTALL
of THURLAND, with whose family it remained till 1885. In 1894 it
passed from Mr NORTH to the present vicar. Rev. J.A. BURROW.
[List of vicars c. 1230-1898] (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1919.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Lancs l8 1914 226-230 plan 227 Photo opp p228 (Ed W Farrer & J Brownbill)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Possibl C11
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 1000
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt circa 1415
Monument End Date : 1415
Monument Start Date : 1415
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C16 additions
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C13 remains
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1299
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored 1847
Monument End Date : 1847
Monument Start Date : 1847
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 111799
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 182481
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1071642
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 67 SW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :