HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stand Old Hall

Hob Uid: 44227
Location :
Bury
Bury
Bury
Grid Ref : SD7970005550
Summary : At the time of the Conquest the seat of the Pilkingtons was at Stand Hall. This, the original Stand Hall, was probably on the site of the building which is now known as Stand Old Hall, on Ringley Road. Later, probably in the 13th century, another hall was built opposite the top of Stand Lane. Much confusion has arisen because a part of the medieval hall survived until recent times and some referred to it as "The Old Hall", to distinguish it from the Victorian Stand Hall which, at that time, stood less than one hundred yards behind it. In the late 15th century the hall at Stand opposite Stand Lane was partly demolished and a portion of the original building situated on the edge of Ringley Road was used as a barn. The 'barn' was built in the reign of Henry V. A Ministry of Housing and Local Government Report made in the mid-20th century stated that it was a remarkable example of a elaborate timber-framed medieval Great Hall.After the Second World War steps were taken top have the 'barn' preserved as a scheduled monument but, just as arrangements were nearing completion, the roof fell in. Attempts to preserve the building were then abandoned. It was demolished in the 1960s when all the land belonging to Stand Hall was cleared to make way for a housing estate bounded by Ringley Road, Ringley Drive and Ten Acre Drive.
More information : (SD 79700555) Stand Hall (NR) (1)

Stand Hall occupies the site of a timber framed mansion built in
the early 16th century, and destroyed in 1840. Nearby are the
remains of Old Stand Hall, comprising the former banqueting hall
of a 14th-15th century manor house, which originally had abutting
wings. Now used as a barn. (2)

Stand Old Hall, an early 15th century timber framed building, which
had long been used as a barn was blown down in a gale on the
night of 29th/30th October 1956. (3)

The modern Stand Hall has now also been demolished, and the area
is covered by a housing estate. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1844-48
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : J Pilkington. 1912. History of the Pilkington Family, 60-6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Bulletin of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 85, 1956
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ISS 22-JAN-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1413-22
Monument End Date : 1422
Monument Start Date : 1413
Monument Type : Manor House, Timber Framed House
Evidence : Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Barn
Evidence : Destroyed Monument

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 31886
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 70 NE 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 70 NE 11
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-01-22
End Date : 1976-01-22