HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 442777

Hob Uid: 442777
Location :
Devon
West Devon
Dartmoor Forest
Grid Ref : SX6116077780
Summary : 19th century Warreners house.
More information : At SX 61237778 on the lower slopes of Longford Tor, at 425.0 m OD, are two or three building platforms (see plan).

The south-west platform measures about 9.0m x 7.0m and is enclosed by a tumbled wall.

The north-west platform is enclosed by a bank on the north and south sides, a wall 0.8m high on the west and a steep slope 1.4m high on the east.

The third platform, to the south-east, is bounded by a slope 0.7m high on the east and a fragmentary wall on the west side.

This particular platform, by its size and shape (rectangular 15.0m x 4.0m) could well be the site of a Medieval longhouse. The site, with the exception of the south-west enclosure wall, is probably the remains of a post-Medieval farmstead, or perhaps a Warrener's house associated with SX 67 NW 72.

Surveyed at 1:10 000 on PFD and at 1:500 for AO Records. (1)

A 19th century warreners house and enclosure situated at SX 61167779 on a moderate W slope at the N end of Wistmans Wood in the west dart Valley. The site consists of two buildings in a sub-rectangular enclosure and a walled yard forming the W side of the enclosure. AP's (2) and ground inspection show that it lies within a cleared area connected with prehistoric settlement: there are hut circles to NW and NE (see SX 67 NW 115).

Building A: A rectangular turf-covered platform measuring 12.6 by 3.7 internally, standing 0.4m high and levelled into the slope. Its long axis runs along the contours, close to the enclosure E wall and parallel to it.

Building B: A faint, stoney line breaking turf defines a small rectangular structure 6 by 3m overall. It is set within a larger, terraced platform which is cut steeply into the slope on the E, leaving a scarp 1.6m long and 1.3m high onto which several, large boulders are cleared. The larger area is 12 by 8m.

Walled Yard C: This feature occupies the SW part of the site and has a northward extension wall forming the W side of the enclosure. It is of drystone construction with selected, medium-size stones randomly coursed into walls 1.2m wide at base, but immediately stepped above to 0.6m width and up to 0.4m high.The yard is rectangular, measuring 7.6 by 5.4 internally, with an opening into the main enclosure. The interior is rough, undulating and still contains uncleared slabs. It is possibly an area where rabbits were prepared prior to market and sale.

Pillow Mound D: A flat-topped linear mound 7m long, 2.5m wide and 0.5m high with a slight ditch around the E end. traces of a small central channel run along the flat top. This seems a most unusual place to keep rabbits, unless it is chronologically earlier than the warren house. It abutts the E wall of the yard C.

The enclosure which contains the structures measures c30 by 22m at maximum. its N side is a prominent earth and stone bank, with traces of internal slab revetting, up to 2m wide and 0.7m high and broken in two places (possibly original entrances). the E side is a scarp cutting into the hillside, up to 1m high and 1.5m long, while the S side is only an intermittent stoney line.

According to Hemery `Wistmans Warren' ie the pillar mounds (see SX 67 NW 72) were built in 1895 as part of a sporting enterprise for James Saltroun of Powder Mills, in common with other mounds close to Crockern (see SX 67 NW 124). He employed a warrener, James Rooke, who lived in a wood and tin shack at Wistmans Wood; presumably the present site. It had been abandoned prior to World War I (3). The extant remains suggest something more substantial than a shack (building B?) and possibly a little earlier. It is possibly a farmstead later adapted when the warren was established, though a context for one is unknown. A deserted medieval settlement as indicated by source (4) is unlikely and building A does not seem to be a longhouse as tentatively suggested on the sketch in source (1) (2-5).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JGB 04-OCT-78
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : NMR 1509 SX 61 77 305-7.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : High Dartmoor 455-6, 1983, E Hemery.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : RCHME App Dartmoor 1985, sheet SX 67 NW.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Wistman's Wood, Lydford/ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Warrener's House, Wistman's Wood/ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Farmstead, House
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Devonshire)
External Cross Reference Number : SX67NW113
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 67 NW 96
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SX 67 NW 96
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1978-10-04
End Date : 1978-10-04
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SX 67 NW 96
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1989-06-22
End Date : 1989-06-22