HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Duke Of Bridgewaters Underground Canals

Hob Uid: 44278
Location :
Salford
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SD7480800542
Summary : Entrance to the Worsley Delph Canal Level. A complex system of underground canals, linked to the Bridgewater Canal, constructed for the conveyance of coal within Worsley Colliery. The coal seams ran under higher ground to the north of Worsley and the Duke's land agent, John Gilbert, saw that it was possible to connect the Bridgewater Canal directly to the mines by way of an underground canal. Running from the Delph at Worsley, work started in 1759 and by 1770 Walkden had been reached with Buckley Lane being reached in 1801. Around 50 miles of underground canals were constructed, on four different levels, connected by a water powered inclined plane and lifts. The main tunnels stretch as far north as Farnworth, with side tunnels running at right angles along the coal seams. The underground canals were last used to bringing out coal in 1887 after which they were used for mine drainage purposes. Following the closure of the last pit in the area, Mosley Common, in 1968, the underground canals were closed.
More information : (SD 748005) At Worsley Delph is the double entrance of
a complex system of underground canals, linked to the Bridgewater
Canal, which was constructed for the conveyance of coal within the
Worsley Colliery; also providing the colliery with an effective
drainage system. Construction of the system was started in 1759
under the direction of J Gilbert and J Brindley. It eventually
included three levels linked by shafts and an inclined plane on
the main level. The system was last used for the conveyance of coal
in 1887. (1)

SD 745 005. Canal tunnel entrances and wharf scheduled, SAM No. GM 17. (2)

Assessment Report. (3)

Full description of how the canal system was operated. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society
Source details : Article by F Mullineux
Page(s) : 152-159
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 71, 1961
Source Number : 2
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAM List Greater Manchester March 1994 8.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports
Source details : The Coal Industry, 1994, Greater Manchester 11
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Industrial archaeology review
Source details :
Page(s) : 85-91
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5, SPRING 1981

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1759-1801
Monument End Date : 1801
Monument Start Date : 1759
Monument Type : Canal, Inclined Plane
Evidence : Subterranean Feature

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : GM 17
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 400033
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 400034
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 400036
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 400037
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 70 SW 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1340289
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :