HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Turton Tower

Hob Uid: 44320
Location :
Blackburn with Darwen
North Turton
Grid Ref : SD7305015220
Summary : A late medieval fortified house which was later altered and enlarged, restored in 1835 and further altered in the mid 19th century. The original stone tower was raised from two to three storeys circa 1596. The timber and stone ranges to the north and east are also of 16th century date. The building was used as a farmhouse from 1809 to 1835 and is now in use as a museum.
More information : [SD 73051521] Turton Tower [GT] (1)

'The manor of Turton, assessed as one ploughland was from the earliest record of it a member of the barony of Manchester...

Turton Tower... is an exceedingly interesting building, the oldest
part of which consists of a stone tower built square with the
compass... 45 ft. in length from N to S and 28 ft. in width with
walls 4 ft. thick. There is no architectural feature remaining
to determine the precise date of the original walls which are of a
somewhat rough order with large quoin stones; whether any part of the building is earlier than the first part of the 15th C is very
doubtful. The tower was altered and raised in the 16th C. when additions of stone and timber were made on its eastern and northern sides and a range of buildings erected at right angles to it on the north east. The plan thus formed, which is still that of the house, follows the lines of two sides of a court enclosed by buildings on the north and west. These later buildings were much altered in the first half of the 19th C, when they assumed their present appearance. The house therefore belongs to three main periods; the tower proper to the Middle Ages, the original north wing and additions to the reign of Queen Elizabeth and the alteration and refacing of the latter to the early years of Queen Victoria....

There is no trace of the building ever having been of larger extent than at present, and the original structure no doubt consisted simply of a single peel tower with wooden buildings adjoining.... The original tower would be about 35 ft. high and consisted of three low storeys evidences of which still remain in the old blocked window - openings which can be seen from the outside...

From about 1809 to 1835 the building was occupied as a farmhouse, as well as being used as a cornmill for a considerable time and during this period it suffered a good dealt (the lower part of the stone staircase no doubt being then cut away). It was in this condition when James Kay purchased the property and determined to restore it...'.

[The article contains detailed architectural descriptions.]
See AO/56/90/4 and 7. (2)

Turton Tower- Scheduled Ancient Monument. (3)

Turton Tower ... '.. Camden (in 1603)... says that it was originally built for defence, that in the 14th C. tournaments were held there, and that in 1594 it was entirely rebuilt of stone. In 1835 it was renovated and restored so that all trace of the original structure is gone...' (4)

The O.S. published name is correct. The building is now a Folk Museum and is open to the public two days per week. (a)

Turton Tower is a part stone and part timber-framed building exhibiting evidence of restoration in three different architectural
periods. The oldest part is the tower, the original walls being
constructed of Runcorn stone roughly coursed. The present mullioned and transomed windows are later insertions and probably date from the extension of the tower in the 16th C. This extension is castellated and is clearly defined by a string course around the tower. Blocked windows and disused external garderobes can also be defined. The 16th C. additions to the north are in similar stone to the tower but dressed and coursed. The extensions to the east are jettied and part timber framed. Much of this timber framing was renewed in the restorations of 1835 and much removed. Where the timber has been removed, the pattern of the framing has been retained by painting on the external plastering. This portion of the building is of the traditional black and white style. Further restorations to the east range include an 'applied facade' with Dutch gabling probably carried out in the mid 19th C. This has been constructed to cover the 16th C. walls of this range the original windows of which can still be seen framed by the modern openings. The 16th C. range to the north was originally two storey, but an additional floor was added in the mid 19th C. The hood moulds of the windows in this 16th C. range have embossed carvings on the stop ends.

Thew whole building is in a good state of preservation and it is understood that periodical maintenance is carried out for this
purpose. The building is correctly shown on the 25" A.M.

See ground photographs. (5)

In a good state of preservation and now in use as a museum. (6)

Turton Tower. Grade I. (7)

SD 730 152. Turton Tower. Scheduled No LA/85. (8)

Listed by Cathcart King. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1927-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume five
Source details :
Page(s) : 273
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 247
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ancient monuments in England and Wales : list prepared by the Ministry of Works, corrected to 31st December 1952
Source details :
Page(s) : 616
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society
Source details : H Fishwick
Page(s) : 73
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 19, 1901
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ECW 18-DEC-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Oral: Mr Barrett, Custodian of Museum
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ISS 16-JAN-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Blackburn, 27-SEP-1984
Page(s) : 65
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 125
Source Number : 8
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : Lancashire
Page(s) : 3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Descheduling, 18-AUG-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : c1596
Monument End Date : 1606
Monument Start Date : 1586
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1809-35
Monument End Date : 1835
Monument Start Date : 1809
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored in 1835
Monument End Date : 1835
Monument Start Date : 1835
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : By 1976
Monument End Date : 1976
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LA 85
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : BB 85
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 90364
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 440684
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 71 NW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 71 NW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-12-18
End Date : 1959-12-18
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SD 71 NW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-01-16
End Date : 1976-01-16
Associated Activities : Primary, TURTON TOWER, CHAPELTOWN ROAD
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2006-01-01
End Date : 2008-12-31