HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bishops Palace

Hob Uid: 446424
Location :
Torbay
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SX8860060770
Summary : Palace of the Bishops of Exeter at Paignton, probably 14th century. All that now remains is a rectangular walled enclosure with a two storey tower, the tower sometimes known as the 'Bible Tower' or 'Coverdale tower' because the building was last occupied by Miles Coverdale, translator of the bible. One of the last owners of the site prior to 1913 was a Colonel Ridgeway, who had the foundations of the old buildings exposed, but the whereabouts of plans made at the time are unknown. Numerous coins and other "interesting" objects were found. Patent Rolls record that in 1549 all episcopal property at Paignton was transferred from Bishop Veysey to Sir Thomas Speke. Ruinous walls in the south west corner of St John's churchyard, uncovered circa 1983-93, are probably associated with the palace.
More information : See microfiche original OS card (1-7)

(SX 88606077) Bishop's Palace (NR) (Remains of)
(NAT). (8)

The remains of the palace of the Bishops of Exeter, Lords of
the Manor of Paignton, date from the 14th century.

The tower is sometimes known as the 'Bible Tower' because it
was last occupied by Miles Coverdale, translator of the
Bible. It stands at the south-east corner of the Vicarage
garden and is a four-storeyed building of red congolmerate,
with some 14th century windows and two arched doorways. Ruined
walls forming parts of the south and east walls of the Vicarage
garden are about 10 feet high with crenellation, and contain
slit window openings with arches and splayed reveals
internally.
Grade II. (9)

SX 88616076. Site of the medieval palace of the Bishop of Exeter. Fragments of the private palace chapel and part of the walled enclosure, including one corner tower, survive above ground. The site was in use as a manorial centre and occasional residence of the bishops from the 11th century until the early 16th century. A survey carried out in 2001 indicates the presence of major stone buildings of probable 13th century date. The same survey suggests that the surviving curtain wall represents a number of different builds and repairs and dates the earliest phase to the 14th century. The surviving tower, which stands in the south east corner of the precinct, dates from the mid to late 14th century. It was later extensively restored, probably in the late 19th or early 20th century. The ruins in the south west corner of St John the Baptist's churchyard are believed to represent the eastern end of the 13th century palace chapel. Scheduled. The walls are also listed Grade II* and the chapel ruins Grade II. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 8
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500 1954
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Boro of Torbay Jan 1975 92
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling amended, 16-OCT-2002
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13th
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Bishops Palace, Building, Domestic Chapel
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Probably C14
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Bishops Palace, Curtain Wall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Structure, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Mid to late C14th
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1333
Monument Type : Bishops Palace, Tower
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : DV 240
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 383843
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 383844
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 33048
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : AIP Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : G.87.E001
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 106896
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 86 SE 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, BISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1890-01-01
End Date : 1899-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SX 86 SE 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1952-11-20
End Date : 1952-11-20
Associated Activities : Primary, BISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, BISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, THE CHAPEL, PALACE PLACE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2003-01-01
End Date : 2003-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, THE BISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2012-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, PAIGNTON PARISH CHURCH HALL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2015-01-01
End Date : 2015-12-31